Cherry Shrimps??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Salmon

AC Members
Nov 25, 2012
hey guys, i am getting RCS tommorow could you guys give me more information about them? this is my first time keeping them

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I don't know much but I do know you need to check your water for copper. It will kill them. Also what kinda tank mates are you planning to have or already have?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Give them reasonable water quality and low temps. They often dont need a heater indoors, they like temps cooler than most tropical fish.
That, and feed them (not much), and they will make more. I've had them for about 4 years now.

TheShrimpFarm

AC Members
Feb 3, 2011
www.theshrimpfarm.com
Mr.Salmon,
Scroll to the middle of this page: red cherry shrimp
It gives some good standards on water parameters that the shrimp do great in. It also lets you know a little on the history, breeding and care. They are quite easy to care for, so I think you'll enjoy them.

I'm not sure on the hikari shrimp cuisine. We use Hikari algae wafers. They're great.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
doesn't hikari shrimp cuisine have copper? should i feed them that?
Some fish foods do contain copper but its usually in barely identifiable quantity, med's and fertilizers are what you need to be careful with.

Not sure how many cherry shrimp I have right now probably 100+ in one tank. I don't feed them anything special, they're in a community tank so I may throw in an extra algae wafer or shrimp pellet but I dont feed any specialized shrimp foods.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
I started with 5 cherries in a 5 gallon tank by themselves over 2 years ago. Now, I have well over 100 in a 12g soon-to-be sorta medium-high tech planted tank. I honestly believe that java moss is a must have if you want your cherries to breed. I have fed mine pretty much everything imaginable; a few brands oftropical flakes, pellets and granules, about 4 different brands of algae wafers, algae scraped off from other tanks, small fish that died in other tanks ('healthy' dead fish), vegies, catappa leaves, live blackworms, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, pieces of prawn and a frozen food I made which had all sorts of vegies, tuna, prawns and a few different prepared foods all mushed together. At the moment, mine get fed 2 algae wafers every second day and until I have a solid micro-organism growth on the glass (cleaned and re-setup the tank a week ago) a *small* pinch of whatever the big community tank gets once a day. All in all, cherry shrimp are pretty great. They're easy to keep and breed and are kinda cool to watch.

onestopaquatics

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2012
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Real Name
Jerry Asper
Hikari Shrimp Cuisine has copper, but it is shrimp safe. It's not like dosing chemicals with copper or dropping a penny in the water. Hikari says they ad this for healthy blood in the shrimps and is 100% safe for them and not toxic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store