Hi...I'm Matt from North Carolina (Charlotte area)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mdvx777

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2012
I'm new to aquariums...I'm in my 40s but have become interested in having a tank and fish.....a friend gave me a betta 3 years ago, and the fish is still living...so I thought maybe I could keep a simple aquarium to begin with....my son named him "Sammy"....we tried twice to put the betta in a tank with an air stone, and he hated the moving water....so, he is happily back in a large bowl of still, clean water, but I have placed a recent yellow-shell snail with the betta to keep the algae down...
it's practical and important for me to start small and do more as I learn more...., but don't want to take on too much too soon....I recently bought a 3 gallon cylindrical aquarium, and I wanted a cold water tank to begin with.... After speaking to the "fish guy" (as he is known), I decided on 5 rosy red minnows, and 1 very small goldfish, and two yellow-shell snails......the tank has an LED light, and an air stone, so I will see how it goes.....I added a "banana plant" to the tank too.....the fish are fine at this point, and I'm really happy to be learning about aquariums....I found out recently that watching the fish in an aquarium is something I could do often, and it really relaxes me......in a few weeks I'll probably get a slightly bigger tank and move the goldfish and the rr minnows to it, and then can add another fish....Does anyone have suggestions for another cold tank species if I get a larger tank in a few weeks? I'm not ready for tropically or saltwater yet.....but I'm really enjoying my simple set up presently, and glad to finally be able to watch fish swimming nearby. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, because all this is new to me.
-Matt

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Look into North American natives. NANFA, the North American Native Fish Association is a greta place to start, and there are quite a few members I know of in NC who could help you out with obtaining some fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store