What is advantage of LED over CFL?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

di2too

Registered Member
Feb 16, 2005
I have a 29 gallon planted tank that my son helped me set up several years ago. He modified a store-bought hood with CFLs. Am thinking about changing to LED. What are the advantages/disadvantages of switching?

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
The only real advantage to LED lights is lower power consumption, and in tank setups where it matters lower heat production. If your sons CFL setup is working(ie growing the plants you want to) there isn't much point in upgrading IMO. LED's aren't enough more efficient than CFL's to justify replacing the fixture unless you have another reason for doing it.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Ditto to fermentedhiker's post.
I switched to DIY LED after I did the math on four new lamps for my power compact fixture. Payback was a few days over nine months.

The cheapest lighting on the market right now is used incandescent strip lights or incandescent hoods and daylight spiral compact bulbs.

di2too

Registered Member
Feb 16, 2005
Thanks fermentedhiker and dbosman. I guess my only other question would be is there a real difference in the appearance of the tank when using LED compared to CFL?

aquatichobby

Registered Member
Nov 24, 2012
North East Coast, USA
Why are you thinking about changing to LED in the first place? Having trouble getting the growth you'd like? If you're having trouble growing plants in your 29g with the CFLs try a T5 24w High Output bulb. You should be able to grow just about anything you'd like in your 29g with an HO bulb. It'd be cheaper than getting a new LED light fixture.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Thanks fermentedhiker and dbosman. I guess my only other question would be is there a real difference in the appearance of the tank when using LED compared to CFL?
That depends on the color of the flourescent and the color mix of the LEDs.
I used to use GE 9325s. I liked the white and bright they put out. A mix of warm white and white gives me the same or better color and more light. I had to mount the LED panels five inches above the tank. I probably need to go an inch higher.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Are you talking about tubes or the swirling bulbs? Tubes are great but the swirling CFL bulbs lose A LOT of light to bounce back (they are a really poorly designed bulb)

LED's are more energy efficient and last longer. I am getting my first LED fixture for my nano SW tank (a Par38) so I guess the transition is beginning for me. :)

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The look can be very different from fluorescent to LED. LED is point illumination and the light comes from a single focal point instead of being spread out evenly along a tube. This can create a rippling and shadow effect. If you use a fewer amount of higher powered LED chips that are spread apart you will see this effect notably. If you use a larger number of lower powered chips that are closer together it will look more like fluorescent. Since LED light is focused in one direction there is less light intensity lost so it is more efficient. But you do need to use a quite a few chips in order to get light intensity equal to what fluorescent can provide. LED does offer the ability to adjust color and intensity with a dimmer control (not a regular household light dimmer, but a LED dimmer which adjusts the modulation of the light not the voltage) which fluorescent does not really offer (but it does exist).

Unless you are building a DIY fixture the payback in energy and relamping savings is typically 2-3 years.

Andy

Samuelmartin

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2012
I have a 29 gallon planted tank that my son helped me set up several years ago. He modified a store-bought hood with CFLs. Am thinking about changing to LED. What are the advantages/disadvantages of switching?
They do have simple advantage of more power saving than CFL

di2too

Registered Member
Feb 16, 2005
Thank you everyone for your advice and insight! My cfl's are the swirly type and my plants are thriving with them. Just saw the new LED hoods at a local store and was considering them, basically for the power saving advantage, but I think I will stick with what I have for now. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store