Grow Out Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
The parents laid eggs on a leaf. They always try and eat the eggd so I moverd the eggs to a 5.5 gallon tank. . My question is when is it safe to move the fry to a 40 gallon grow out tank? Do you wait till they look likre angels or can you do it as soon as Possible.
Thanks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I hope you are not exposing the eggs to air when moving the eggs..best to remove the eggs by moving the object the eggs were layed on while under water.

there is no immediate hurry to move the fry once the eggs hatch ..they will be wigglers for 3-4 more days until free swimming...after that you still have several days to decide to move the free swimmers

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would wait until they are eating prepared food to move to the grow-out tank. It may meaning having to cull to keep the numbers manageable in the hatching/fry tank.

One interim step may be a basket in the larger tank. It keeps the food close, but the water parameters more stable.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I think that is the problem, when we transfered them part of the plant got in the air. This is the third batch of fry we have had the second batch 75 of them are in a 5 gallon tank and I want to move them to a 40 gallon breeder. I think I should wait till they actually look like angels in about three weeks.
Thanks for your help

dabradford

AC Members
Oct 25, 2012
I would move them sooner than later, as 75 in a 5 gallon seems like a lot of fry. Move them as soon as they are all free swimming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store