Betta Fry Feeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sterling1

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
SC
I am curious, has anyone raised fry without using live foods? I have read tons and found egg yolk. But I would think they would need something more. I am considering breeding my Thai Halfmoons BUT keeping live food is an issue here. I have access to limited frozen food at Pet Smart BUT round trip it's a 2 hour drive! Thanks in advance :)

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
I don't know a whole bunch, but this is one reason I decided against raising/breeding.

All the breeders I know use live.

Baby brine shrimp and some use other live foods like vinigar worms that are supposed to be easier to raise/keep

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
feed baby betta infusoria for a bit, then ground up nls pellets or grow your own brine shrimp. infusoria cultivation is easy. step by step instructions on the web. all you need is lettuce, water and a light source. brine shrimp eggs are pretty easy to grow too and are safer than store bought. you can send away for these.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Sandybottom, where do you think she will get the insuforia she will feed with a lettuce leave? Did you just make this up?

LIVE food. Not frozen. Swimming, alive, bouncing around food. If it is not moving you can foul your water with egg yolk all day and your fry will starve to death watching it sink to the bottom of the tank.

The good news is you can hatch BBS (baby brine shrimp) at home. Its simple, cheap and labor intensive...So make sure you want to make the commitment. egg laying fish fry are not the same as livebearers like guppies and platties- the babies are teeny tiny and their instict, their teeny tiny fry brains smaller than a grain of sand, tell them to eat anythign that moves- If its not moving they wont try to eat it and they will die.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
at least look culturing infusoria before you make the assumption that i made it up. put decaying vegetable matter and an algae tab in a jar, in aged water or aquarium water and put in sunny warm window. infusoria will show up in a couple of days. look up the wikihow on 8 steps to cultivate infusoria. they also occur naturally in planted tanks.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I made my own infusoria cultures they are easy. I took a hand full of lawn clippings and a jar, filled with water. plastic wrap the top and set in window for a few weeks. when you look to see if its ready take a flash light or hold it up to a window on a sunny day if you see the water "wiggling" or kinda sparkling it is ready!!, it will form large cloudy clumps in the water ( and yes it will smell not so good)

worked great, fed egg yolk as well..boil an egg and let cool take a tiny chunk and some tank water and mash up the yolk strain it threw a shrimp net. ^_^ mine grew fast with this.

get a mortar and pestle grind up some quality flakes or pellets

micro worms are easy to keep and would work once the fry out grow the insuforia

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
oh yeah, make sure you read the tips and warnings at the bottom of the wikihow page. a lot of people use the egg method successfully. as betta are opertunistic eaters. you can also add a few mystery or other peaceful snail in the nursery as a clean-up crew. they will not eat your fry and keep the tank free of fungus and rotting food.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store