Brown Algea Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
My 90gal FOWLR has somehow got this weird problem with brown algea. I'm not sure whats causing it because I only have one fish in it. My angel isn't affected by it but it drives me nuts looking at it. Whats the culprit and why did it hit me? Not that I've never had problems but it seems to me that I'm not over loaded on fish. I know one thing I need to pay a lot more attention to my tank. :headshake2:

cemster

AC Members
Jun 28, 2012
What are your water parameters? Could be possible your overfeeding too would be easier to tell if you checked your water first and start from there

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Is it a newly set up tank? Does it get direct sunlight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
I use RO water and no the tank is not in direct sunlight, never has been. I have One fish, an Angel and he's not bothered by this. I know somethings up because my skimmer has been working over time with all of the output it gets.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Need more info...

RO or RODI?
Do you make your own RO or Premixed SW or do you buy it from your LFS or grocery store?
How old is the tank?
What kind of lighting and how old are the bulbs?
Running carbon or GFO?
Is it a dusty algae that covers the sand or a slimy/bubbly algae that is everywhere?
Is it worse after the lights come on or fairly consistent?

Water parameters would help.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
All the parameters were good on the water I just had tested last Saturday. NH3 -0, NO2 - 0, KH- 9, pH - 8.2, SG - 1.025. My RO was sorta bad though, they said it was good enough for drinking water but not this . I just had the element replaced 8 months ago and I don't make enough water. Last one was used 2 years or more and didn't have this kind of problem.

Bought a Pincushion Urchin too so to take care of the Bubble algea in the tank. LFS said it'll help with the algea. I never have had this much problems since the red algea that took over my tank 5 years ago give or take.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store