Reinecki 'cardinalis'

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
I wanted a little more red color to my planted aquarium so I purchased some Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis . I have a planted 50 gallon and use root tab and liquid ferts along with daily dosing of liquid CO2. I have moderate to high lighting using 2 bulbs @96w ea (6500) over the 50 gallon and run both for about 4 hours and then one for an additional 4hours( I have anubias and java ferns so I limit the intensity of the light cycle). I have read conflicting comments about whether this plant needs gas CO2 to thrive. I hope my lighting cycle ratio is enough for this plant. My low light plants are at the perimeter of the tank. I was wondering what anyones experience with this plant was in a low tech tank. Any advice regarding care tips in a low tech tank or pictures would be appreciated. Here is my set up now:

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
I have been growing them, however on a much smaller scale. They are in my daughters 5 gallon. I would say that my light and fertilization is pretty close in comparison to yours.....moderate to high lighting, liquid ferts, and root tabs! I was also using liquid co2 booster. They were growing fairly well, with the nice red and pink hues, however I decided to set up a diy co2. Since then I have noticed larger and broader leaves and definately faster growth. Also I noticed that they are thriving more at ph 6.7, as apposed to my other tank that sits around 7.4! Over all I think you should have decent results with the set up you have but some co2 if do-able would definately give them a nice boost.

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
IMAG0261.jpgThe one you see peeking out in the back right has a smaller, less vibrant leaves below the crown that you can see. it has been growing out like that since the addition of co2. the ones on the left started off as 1 inch clippings of that plant about a month ago!

IMAG0261.jpg

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
Very nice, and i assume the rapid growth over the past month corresponds to the DIY CO2 addition. .. thanks for the info and picture

Donnie1974

Registered Member
May 9, 2014
Confused about Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis

I have bought this plant three times, all in the gel packs... I planted some about 2 months ago and it is growing pretty good to the point where I am going to prune it soon and propagate it.. The other two plants were labeled as reineckii cardinalis (scarlet temple) but are not growing as fast and the plant looks different in shape and color as the first one I purchased .... all were in gel packs and very tiny.... please take a look at the pictures and I would appreciate any advice on this plant and what is the proper way to keep it short and bushy instead of tall... and why three plants in three different packages labeled the same are so different...:goldfish:

I have about 3.4 watts per gallon of light, run CO2 during the day... I only started in the hobby 7 months ago so please bare with me.....

20140508_085702.jpg 20140508_085721.jpg 20140508_085728.jpg 20140508_085125.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store