Aquarium light opinion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Partsman41953

AC Members
Sep 12, 2008
Hi all,

I saw this light on EBAY for my 28 gallon aquarium and was wondering if it would be alright to grow the corals which I have now (orange mushrooms, and pulsing Xenia), and some additional corals I plan to add. The aquarium is 18" deep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Reef-LED-Lamp-30W-14000K-White-250W-Metal-Halide-alternative-Light-/271112949473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1f974ee1

Thanks,

Glenn

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Wattage seems awfully low at just 30 watt's. Your tank is what 24" wide? Most reef capable LED fixtures I know of for that size setup would be pushing 100 watts+.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
30W of LEDs isn't likely to do anything good for your corals.

The ad also appears to be "cleverly worded" to trick people into thinking that it includes 250w metal halides as well, which is does not. I won't deal with sellers that use that kind of advertising trick, as a matter of principle.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I think they are trying to say that this is an equivalent of a 250W halide (which it mostly likely is not). That is a large "multichip" diode and not 30 individual 1W LED diodes. With the large reflector you should have some decent success with LPS but I would caution adding SPS or clams. Here is a DIY using simalr chips of higher wattage. Google "EPISTAR LED REEF" and you will get a better feel for what they can do. Drivers and heatsinks/cooling have a lot to do with how any LED will perform. The other disadvanatge is that you are stuck with that color unless you supplment each pendent with another light source.

Here is one example using larger watt chips.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128756

Samuelmartin

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2012
Hi all,

I saw this light on EBAY for my 28 gallon aquarium and was wondering if it would be alright to grow the corals which I have now (orange mushrooms, and pulsing Xenia), and some additional corals I plan to add. The aquarium is 18" deep.

Thanks,

Glenn
I am trying to use led lights. Will they work well for me?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I am trying to use led lights. Will they work well for me?
That question can't be answered without a lot more information.
LED lighting can do just about anything one can do with lighting, but what you're wanting to light, how big the tank, how deep the tank, how much light the critters need, how deep the water is, reef verses fish, etc.

Samuelmartin

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2012
That question can't be answered without a lot more information.
Peimar led lighting can do just about anything one can do with lighting, but what you're wanting to light, how big the tank, how deep the tank, how much light the critters need, how deep the water is, reef verses fish, etc.
Ok thanks for you reply

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store