Kenyi's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
I am thinking of putting a couple Kenyi's (aka Lombardoi's) in my african tank. With other africans (yellow lab, johanni), would it be best to have two female kenyi's and a male, or just stick with females? I like these fish, but will they become overly aggressive to the other fish once they begin to spawn. The kenyi's would be much smaller than the other africans.

Also, would you recommend putting johanni's in small groups or singular? I have one electric blue johanni right now.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I would not put kennyis and yellow labs in the same tank. I made that mistake very early on... male kennyis (yellow) are very likely to tear up the more docile labs (also yellow, and usually treated by the kennyi like rival males). A very bad mix, IME.

It doesn't matter what size the kennyi are. Even juveniles are pretty tough, and they grow pretty quickly, for africans.

It would be a good way to lose some labs.

Jim

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Originally posted by JSchmidt
I would not put kennyis and yellow labs in the same tank. I made that mistake very early on... male kennyis (yellow) are very likely to tear up the more docile labs (also yellow, and usually treated by the kennyi like rival males). A very bad mix, IME.

It doesn't matter what size the kennyi are. Even juveniles are pretty tough, and they grow pretty quickly, for africans.

It would be a good way to lose some labs.

Jim
Thanks for the tips. My labs are pretty much full-grown... the kenyi's are still baby's basically. I have one female... but after your advice, I think I won't be adding a male. Maybe another female though. Or are the female's aggressive as well?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Female kennyis are pretty tough, but they aren't conspecifics to the yellow labs. Yellow labs generally get beat up by male kennyis, who are also yellow. The male kennyis treat the labs like they were males of the same species, and they pretty much beat the labs to death.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store