Blue Gene Jack Dempsey numbers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I have been reading up on the Dempseys, and apparently if 2 blue gene dempseys are bred together, 25% fry are electric blue, 25% are blue gene, and 50% are non blue gene fry. My questions are, if both parents are blue genes, why are not all of the fry blue genes, and how do you tell the blue genes from the non blue genes?

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Genetics, but you've got the figures slightly wrong... Expressing the ebjd outcome requires two recessive genes be in combination. Here's the deal: Each bgjd has one dominant gene and one recessive; call them B and b. Now pair up all the combinations possible if each contributes one gene to make a pair. Possiblilities are then BB, Bb, Bb (the other way), and bb. Each combination is equally likely, so 25% per combination. That gives you 25% BB which is a normal jd, 50% Bb which is bgjd, and 25% ebjd.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Thank you. But still, is there any way to tell which ones of the fry are blue genes, and which ones are straight dempseys? I understand they both look like normal dempseys, so I don't really want to waste time raising dempseys thinking they will give me some electric blues, when in reality they are plain janes. I have some BGs, and an EBJD, so next spring will be trying for more. I am just needing to know if there is any way to seperate the BGs from the normal JDs without actually breeding them. I would also hate to tell my LFS that I am selling him BGs when they were'nt.

mohakka

Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Unfortunately, there is no physical difference, so it's impossible unless, well,you take them to lab.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you have a questionable Jack Dempsey from a blue gene x blue gene cross, you want to breed it with an EBJD if possible. That way you know the offspring would be at least blue gene, and if you don't get any EBJD you know it is just a plain jack dempsey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store