Will this sump design work ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
Sump placement.jpgsump to room.png
I do not have room near or under dt to put a sump I do have a nearby closet that i can use.the piping would have to go down to the crawlspace of my home then up to the sump which is still lower than my dt

Sump placement.jpg sump to room.png

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It would work, but I would insulate the plumbing going through the crawlspace. Also, it might get difficult when plugging in and unplugging/doing tank maintenance not being able to see what is going on in one place while working in the other.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Don't forget about electrical access, unless you have a plug in your closet :D

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
It will work. I kinda have the same type of setup at home, but at a smaller scale. Here's a video on the setup. The only thing I would do with yours is, where the tube drains into the sump, I wouldn't keep it closed. I would open up the top and add a tube preferable higher than the bottom of the drain from your main tank, like this:
ToAaM.jpg

It'll stop potential vacuums from happening so you won't get that swirly sound draining sound every so often.

[video=youtube;5zHM1DXaY-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zHM1DXaY-0&list=UUAdULZx_sNwqBjduu4eFjVQ&index=8[/video]

ToAaM.jpg

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Interesting, I've never tried running the overflow inlet tube below the surface level of the sump, but i see how it should work. I've always kept sumps under my tank, but like your idea, may use that in setup when I move too new place soon.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I would suggest using a larger drain size than normal to make sure you have adequate water flow. Probably 2" pipe. Also is cold temperature an issue? You may lose a lot of heat with the plumbing under the crawl space. That may be a good thing for a reef where too warm temperatures are a problem or a bad thing if you are in a cool situation already.

You may also want to consider putting in a Y fitting in the drain facing down so that you can periodically go underneath and flush out any silt or debris that collects in the drain. The silt should collect in the Y and then flush out when you open the valve.

Andy

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
yes I plan on doing a drain underneath I will also be fully insulating the pipe underneath I'm in south carolina so we dont get to cold

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
it will work, but i would check to see what kind of flow you have into the sump and then get a matching flow pump, because the water has to go down and then back up, i could see this slowing down the flow, there for the pump you pick could be to strong or not strong enough. do your math, but it should work out just fine. great pics and great idea
happy new year

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store