Decapsulated Brine Shrimp VS live Brine Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I would like to have opinions on using decapuslated Brine shrimp VS. Live Brine Shrimp. For some reason I do not have luck producing Live Brine Shrimp. Is the Non Hatching Decpsulated Shrimp just as good as the live. Is it OK to use the decap for my angel fry.
Thank you.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've used both..but find the fry like the BBS to start..i switch to decap after they learn to find bbs, I think it's the bbs moving that may attract them

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Live is better as they are moving. Most babies that need protein instinctively peck at (birds) of inhale (fish) small moving things.

Hatching baby brine is always a pain until you finally get it. Then you wonder how come it took so long. Keep at it as you will get it, and it is one of the best foods for fry.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I use a coke bottle with a base as my hatchery. I think my problem is temperature. How do I keep the temperature at 80 degrees. I can't put a heater in the bottle.
thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
80 is too high for BS IMO. Usually when shrimp does not hatch, it is because the salinety is wrong.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Some people keep the hatching bottlles near a 25 - 40 watt light.
From

http://www.marinedepot.com/fish_food_san_francisco_bay_brand_hatchery_tips-ap.html

Watch the temperature!
The rate of hatching brine is very sensitive to temperature. Most of your eggs should hatch in 24 hours if the temperature is roughly 82°F (28°C). If the temperature is only 70°F (21°C), you might have to wait up to 36 hours to get a good hatch. By increasing the temperature, you increase the rate of hatching. But be careful. As the temperature exceeds 86°F (30°C), you become more likely to loose the whole Hatch. Be safe- hatch between 82°-86°F (28°-30°C)!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Cut the bottom off of a 2 liter coke bottle and suspend it in a 20 gallon tank 2/3 full of water. Heat the 20 gallon tank to 80-82 (who ever says this is to hot is just plain wrong). Put 1 and 1/2 TABLEspoons of canning salt into the 2 liter bottle and fill approximately 2/3 full of water. Add air (a stone is not neccesary). You will have BBS in approxiately 24 hours.

If your still having issues hatching the BBS your issue is either with your water or you have a bad batch of eggs. Best place to get your eggs is Brine Shrimp Direct. Too soft of water can cause poor hatch rates asa well and if this is the case substitute some salt that they use for Saltwater aquariums in place of the canning salt.

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Decapsulated are superior from a nutritional standpoint, but newly hatched stimulate a much stronger feeding response, particularly in newborn fry. Imo as soon as the fry will eagerly take the decap, they're the way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store