Jellyfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Hello,

I passed by the lfs I used to frequent, (before shopping online instead), and I noticed the had jellyfish in a tank.. They couldn't be any bigger than 3 1/2 inches in diameter. They were really funky looking. Anyway, I've read that jellyfish are very rarely kept in home aquariums, seeing how they are extremely hard to care for. Is this true, or is there a species of jellyfish that can be kept for home aquariums?

Oh, by the way, this LFS is really sad to look at. no joke, each and everyone one of their saltwater tanks have fish dieing in them. Their corals are all closed, and sadly, they got sea horses, and some other really nice stuff, which unfortunately, unless they're purchased shortly, will usually die off..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Free swimming jellies are hard to keep in a square tank. Since they can't control their movement much, they tend to be blown into corners and get wedged, killing themselves, and often stinging other critters in the tank, including fish, motile inverts, and corals.

They are amazing to see, though. Several aquariums I've visited have huge column-shaped tanks setup with jellies, and it's awesome.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
From what I have read, they would require a chiller too... or at least some jelly fish would, deeper waters. But if you want to go find a LARGE circular tank for them, so they can't really tell their being contained and like orion said... aren't being pushed into a corner.... and have a chiller, you could get it from your LFS. One lfs by me told me all about them one day and wouldn't recomend buying them...

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I wondered the same thing awhile back and posted to this forum almost a year agon. There were some cool links in that post, try searching for it.

From what I read most jellies need cold water to survive and as was mentioned a circular tank that has a good current.

It can be done but really costs a fortune to setup and run. Plus feeding can get tricky as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store