Ick Treatment not working...advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goser

Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hello all, I need some advice on my ick treatment.

A few months ago I set up my 30g aquarium and cycled it with three swordtails. Two weeks ago I added bala sharks and after 10 days three of the four died without warning overnight. Only after disposing of the dead fish did I notice the remaining bala appeared to have ick... it was virtually invisible to me because of their colour I guess, and I can only really see the spots by looking down at the fish on an angle. I began a treatment with QuICK Cure immediately, following the package directions, and raised the temperature to 82 degrees. I have now completed two 3-day treatement cycles and the bala still appears to have pustules on him, although not as many as before. The two female swords appear to be unaffected, and the male sword appeared to have pustules for two days during the first treatement but is now fine again.

Since the treatment doesn't seem to have fully cured the bala yet, should I continue treatment with the quick cure or switch to another treatment method? Is there another disease that I may be confusing for ick?

Thanks!

goser

Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply Reuben. I'm pleased to say that I just got home and the bala appears to be free of pustules!

If I understand ick correctly, would it be wise to repeat one more round of treatment to make sure all of the latest tomites are killed?

Thanks

JPark457

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
I usually keep up whatever treatment I used (usually salt and heat) for about a week or so after i cant see any sign of disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store