Dad and step son want to build Paludarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

305MatNat

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2012
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, new to aquaria, and a novice when it comes to putting together any of the 'riums'. My step son would like some type Paludarium, half water half land tank, to house a chinese water dragon. I am aware that the tank will have to be quite large for this reptile. We're actualy both excited about the idea of a large tank because we think we will have more options as to what else we can do in the tank. We want fish and live plants for sure. I know I will need a lighting system that works for the reptile and the plants. I know I need a pump, some type of filter, and some way to get a flow of water up and out of the water to cascade down a water fall.
I'm good with crafting, I've got loads of drift wood, and I've got a bit of a background in biology, particularly plant biology. We live in Miami Fl so I should have no trouble finding plant stock, and I have a never ending suply of gambusia(mosquitofish) to sacrifice to the tank. The tank would also get sun for half a year from a southern window we would set it up next to. Years ago, as a child, I had alot of tanks, fresh and salt, but I also unkowingly at the time put together a paludarium. It was a 40g, and I piled up gravel one side almost 3/4 of the way up, basicaly making a beach. I think I had some type of pump a filter. Anyhow it worked, had a turtle and some fish in it.
So anyhow, I think I can do this. We are looking at 50g to 75g tanks. 75g would be better I imagine? I'm at loss to what kind of circulation, pump, and filter system I will need. Can it all be done iside the tank? I'm hopeing. I dont like the idea of cutting holes in a tank and the possible complication of some out of tank sump, or what ever that is. Does anyone out there have some plans I can work off? Am I way out of my league and getting into more than I can handle, or am I just heading in the wrong direction? Please any help, sugestions or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long boring spiel and Thanks in advance,
Nat

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Let me start off by welcoming you to AC! :)

It sounds like you have quite a potential project on your hands. We've had several people construct paludariums on here over the years. I would recommend doing a search on this site under palduarium and read up on what worked and what didn't for past members. I keep a lot of different lizards and turtle species but I've yet to build a paludarium (would love to do a dart frog tank in the future). As for your current choice of lizards species, I would recommend the biggest tank you can afford or possibly construct a custom tank. CWD have the potential (if male) to get around 3 feet long. That would make for a cramped 75 gallon and even a more cramped 50. They're an aboreal species so you want make vertical space your primary objective. And just FYI there are other similar species that would work out much better if your budget is tight such and Mountain Horned Dragons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store