Ram eggs!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
I added three Bolivian Rams to my community tank about a month ago. They didn't really seem to pair off but they all got along relatively fine. Sunday night I noticed that two of the rams seemed to be sticking together in the middle or the tank. They had never bothered any other fish, but I noticed them chasing after anything that came near their territory - dwarf gourami, corys, and neon tetras. The dwarf gourami started to fight back so I shut off the light early and everyone mellowed out.

This morning when the lights came on I discovered that there appeared to be eggs on the rock underneath the part of the tank the pair was defending! This is my first experience with breeding fish and I am so excited. I never expected the rams to pair off so fast - I wasn't even sure what genders they were! I got some Hikari first bites and some frozen baby brine shrimp from the pet store so I am prepared for the eggs to hatch! The parents are doing a spectacular job defending their territory after their very first spawn.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Unfortunately I found mold on the eggs this morning and as of this evening it appeared that the rams had eaten most of the eggs :( I will most likely give them another 3-4 shots at being successful in the community tank and if that doesn't work I will re-home them and try to help the process along.

Any particular reasons the eggs would have gone moldy? I noticed that some of them were whiter than other last night but I did not see any mold until this morning and by then all of the eggs were the same white color.

EDIT: Some photos of the eggs and the first-time parents:
IMG_1277.jpgIMG_1278.jpgIMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1279.jpg

Last edited:

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
it looks like a poor fertilization job to me

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
There are several factors that can cause mold on the eggs.
usually when eggs turn white a day or so after they are laid is causes from the eggs not getting fertilized.
usually fertile eggs are a dark yellow color and after a few days will start to form eyes and tails.

it takes the pair practice to get it right and they may look for a secluded spot in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store