Recurring death issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brackish Master

AC Members
Dec 13, 2012
Ohio
In the past couple days I have
lost a green reef chromis, he got wha looked like popped eye...it went away, then his back ridge looked like a shuffling of skin or scales and looked maybe webby in a way...he died and when I removed the body from the bottom he was putrid smelling. The next day a bangai cardnal was dead but didn't really look like the chromi, my othe two chromis are looking a bit like they have abrasion on them almost corrosive looking...what could this be...my salinity is at a 23 and all parameters are in norm. 20g fish only

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I bet that when you bought them the saleperson told you Green Chromis were "peaceful Damsels". Well it's onlya half truth. While they rarely bother other fish, they're hard on their own schoolmates. The only stable population I've been able to maintain long term is a group of 12 in a 250 gal aquarium. In smaller groups and in smaller tanks the size of the school generally dwindles slowly down to one.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Ah, the good ol Chromis Highlander game... :D

How long did you have the cardinal? And do you know if it was wild or tank-bred? If recent and wild, that is unfortunately a common fate.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I bet that when you bought them the saleperson told you Green Chromis were "peaceful Damsels". Well it's onlya half truth. While they rarely bother other fish, they're hard on their own schoolmates. The only stable population I've been able to maintain long term is a group of 12 in a 250 gal aquarium. In smaller groups and in smaller tanks the size of the school generally dwindles slowly down to one.
This is so true. Not my LFS but a fish store we went to a long time ago said to put about 5 in our 92 gal and they would school like a happy little family. Very quickly we found we only had a single chromis left.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
This is so true. Not my LFS but a fish store we went to a long time ago said to put about 5 in our 92 gal and they would school like a happy little family. Very quickly we found we only had a single chromis left.
Another half truth. They just left out that it would be the Manson family.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store