why aragonite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flear

AC Members
Nov 23, 2012
why aragonite for a marine/reef substrate ?

why not any other fine grade sand ? (play sand, pool filter sand, etc)

never thought about this before, but now that the thought has come to mind, it's a considerable curiosity.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Because everyone says to use it... :evil_lol:

But in all seriousness, there are reasons. Silica-based sands can be used. They will contribute to diatoms, but that isn't the disaster people make it out too be. There are other algaes that are perfectly happy to fill in for the diatoms if you don't let them form, so the net algae levels remain the same. Aragonite looks a bit more nature, comes in a bit more variety, often doesn't need as much cleaning, potentially buffers the water (debatable on whether this matters) and doesn't contribute to diatoms (debatable on whether this matters). It also is less prone to scratching the glass then silica, although both will do it given the right circumstances.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I used silica sand in a setup I had going, battled diatoms nonstop made the sand look really horrible, when I moved the fish, rocks, coral into a new tank i used arag, no more diatoms.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Aragonite is naturally developed and produced, and is said to contain properties for maintaining stable, ongoing level pH, on the slightly alkaline side just above 7.0.
The seabed floor around the Bahamas Islands, stretching out for hundreds of miles of reefs/reefline, is nothing but aragonite - hence it's popular use for marine aquariums.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've used other sands. Some require WAY more rinsing or you have a cloudy tank. That's been the only difference I've noticed that was definitely caused by the sand. Otherwise, if the pH drops enough to break down aragonite, you have some serious problems. The only time I've had a problem with diatoms has been in tanks with too few cleaners--either because it's cycling, or the stock list means normal cleaners are seen as snacks.

Flear

AC Members
Nov 23, 2012
so diatoms
if anything like like freshwater these are only a concern on new tanks still cycling

after that is preference and simulating nature.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Aragonite is naturally developed and produced, and is said to contain properties for maintaining stable, ongoing level pH, on the slightly alkaline side just above 7.0.
It helps to maintain the PH which should be about 8.0

7.0 would be too low.

Flear

AC Members
Nov 23, 2012
the natural ph of calcium carbonate 8.?
i think 8.2, but don't quote me on that
8 (7.5-8.5) is also the peak ph for beneficial bacteria

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
PH in a reef tank shouldnt really go below the high 7's, so it is a bit redundant to have sand that buffers it that high.

Remember, the water is buffered, the rock is basically where aragonite came from so it buffers and many tanks even do a constant buffering for the corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store