Are Eggs Fertilized

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
If you are taking the eggs of the Angelfish how long do you wait to make sure the eggs are fertilized. So many of my eggs turn white in the first few days. I wait as long as I can, then the male tried to eat the eggs. I waited about 7 hours. This has happened about three times, I haven't had success with any of this pair of Platinum Angels. I have had success with my Double Black Angels.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Are you 100% sure you have a pair? Just because two Angels pair off and lay eggs doesn't mean one is a male.

mohican

AC Members
Dec 14, 2012
White eggs mean they are either dead or unfertilized. U could have 2 females going through spawning process.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I know I have a male and female. Some eggs were fertilized and I do have a few babies. This is the third time they have laid eggs and each time alot of them turned white in 48 hours and the rest of them became wigglers and then fish and then died. I haven't had one survive yet. This time there are about 20 eggs left some still in the wiggleing stage and some fry. My water tested fine, I keep it at 80 degrees. I used Met Blue in the tank. (they are not with their parents). I really would like to know how long do I keep the eggs in the tank with the parents, if I keep them in there to long the parents will eat the eggs. 7 hours or longer?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Fertilization happens immediately after spawning. Within minutes the membrane forms on the egg capsule that prevents sperm from entering the egg. It's not unusual to have many eggs unfertilized particularly with younger parents.

You can pull the eggs immediately after spawning is completed. Place an airstone next to the eggs to oxygenate the water around them. Use an eye dropper to suck off any unfertilized any eggs when you see them.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store