Your thoughts on Half Black Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Looking into keeping half black angels, thoughts on getting young unturned stock.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
young unturned stock???

lost me on that one

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Me too....but like the DD double black better even with their issues.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
DD Black are beautiful fish.

A few years back I had green leopards , the green was a weird anomaly for the black leopard..Loved them but lost them to camallanus..they had issues shedding the parasite after treatment.

now I lean towards Altum and silver Scalare(aka Peruvian Altums )

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I would not buy something labeled "unturned" half blacks. Frankly I dont believe they exist.

A fish expresses or it doesnt. By the time it is nickle size, that's what its gonna look like.

This is actually a new phenomenon. When I was doing half blacks 7-8 years ago, they either expressed, or didnt and you'd be laughed outta town for this idea they would magically turn color. I have never before heard of "unturned" half blacks or seen a fish that doesnt express suddly change color. If its bigger than a dime, that's what its gonna look like. I'd bet more money on that, then I would waste money hoping to hit the fish lotto. I guess it could happen, but I wouldnt play those odds.

Either splurge on half-blacks or buy silvers. There is no point in paying mark up for a silver in the hope you one day wake up to a half black. The only thing an unexpressing half black is good for is attempting to get half blacks in a second generation for someone with time money gear knowlege and experience and desire enough to devote the time to making babies- and planning to spend a crap load of money on the venture that may or may not come to fruition. Its a waste IME.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
see attachment

That was the point, they sell them as unturned, not showing the black, with a chance that they will start showing later.
I was reading that some state that it depends on the amount of lighting, stating that in a darker tank they will start showing.
I was looking at several breeders that are selling them.
From what I see on the average only 20% of the fry start showing.

I was hoping they might look like the attached at a later stage

halfblack.jpg

Last edited:

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
I was trying to figure out if they would start showing at a later stage.
As Paula stated, not a good idea.

Was thinking that I could save a couple $$$, they are so expensive.
lol

Looks like I am on the market for some super veil koi/on the orange reddish side, lost mine with the storm.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
ahh.. unturned as in not expressing the color. yup she's spot on. that's why when you mentioned 'unturned' I was confused. ;)

tho I have seen the 'blushing' trait go away as a fish matured.. tho that really has more to do with the gill plates maturing till blushing was gone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store