New to forum - trying to start tank back up after 5 years

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gatewaylabs

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
Hi all - I have a 55-gallon freshwater tank that I'm trying to restart. It had a leak 5 years ago and I took it down (gave the fish away) and it's been this long until trying it again. I'm trying to do a fishless cycle and am getting nowhere with it.

2 weeks ago I dosed the tank up to 4 ppm and as of now, the ammonia has not dropped at all, I have 0 nitrites and a tiny amount of nitrates (like 2-3 ppm). I don't know anyone with an active tank, so don't have anyone to get media from. How long do I wait and is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

What temp are you maintaining? pH? Liquid test kit? Ammonia source?

Gatewaylabs

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
I am keeping the temp around 85 and am using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I used pure ammonia from the hardware store - no perfumes, dyes, soap, etc... The pH is another thing I don't get. Our tap water (we are on well water) is 7.0 coming out of the tap. The tank's pH, though, is really high (basic) at around 8.0. I have no idea what's in there that's raising the pH - I just used the rocks/wood I had from the last time I had my tank running. So should I do a large water change and start attempting the cycle again? I'm open to doing whatever to get this thing going!

Thanks!

Samsmobb

AC Members
Feb 1, 2012
Gaithersburg Maryland
Go to a local fish store n ask for a sponge squeeze lol they shouldn't have a problem with it because mine didn't it or even offer a a few dollars for the whole sponge
if not just go and buy a bacteria supplement and it should kick start it pretty wuickly

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I always hesitate on getting a sponge from a lfs.....they rotate a lot of fish in and out of their tanks and there's an increased risk of picking up some sort of pathogen, and the bacteria in a bottle products provide a different type of bacteria than the ones you'll be colonizing long-term and if the long-term guys aren't there when the bacteria from the bottle die off (they don't last too long), then you're back to square one, but may have fish in already. My suggestion is to give it some more time, sometimes it takes a while for the right bacteria to get in there and colonize. Additionally, if you know someone close (or can find someone on this forum that's close) that has clean tanks and some plants that they're trimming, that could be a good way to introduce bacteria to your tank in order to speed things up.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd kick the temp down a bit..more like 76-78.

Is that tap sample pH after it sat out overnight and gassed off or right out of the tap?

Leak..then a re-seal I presume..how long of a cure?

How was the rock and wood stored?

Gatewaylabs

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
I'll put the temp back down. The tap sample is right out of the tap - hadn't thought about leaving it out overnight. Just tested a bit that happens to have been sitting out for a while, and yes - same high pH. Guess it's just our water. The rock and wood were simply sitting in my basement - nothing special about storing it. Reseal - it just cured for 24 hours.

As far as a local fish store - the one I used some years ago has closed and now we pretty much just have Petsmart/Petco.

Gatewaylabs

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
I'll put the temp back down. The tap sample is right out of the tap - hadn't thought about leaving it out overnight. Just tested a bit that happens to have been sitting out for a while, and yes - same high pH. Guess it's just our water. The rock and wood were simply sitting in my basement - nothing special about storing it. Reseal - it just cured for 24 hours.

As far as a local fish store - the one I used some years ago has closed and now we pretty much just have Petsmart/Petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store