Mederma and scar fading.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
So after I came back from MEPS I developed a nasty staph infection. 2 trips to the er, an 8 day hospital stay and a surgery later(I had basically a core removed from my knee, it was 2 inches across and 1 inch deep and had to be packed with gauze for a month) I have a quarter sized purple scar on my knee. The infectious disease dr believes MEPS is where i picked up the infection.

But I told my recruiters and they advised me to not inform them at all because any type of surgery would delay my entry for at least 6 months. I go back to MEPS to process and ship on January 22nd and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with lightening scars. I can probably pass it off as an old road rash scar, I'd just like it to look less purple and fade it as much as possible.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Forget what the recruiter said, if the doc gives you clearance then your entry probably won't be delayed (although it's still possible). If the doc said you got it at MEPS then report it. If it gives you trouble later through some related issue (ie tendonitis, etc.) and it's not documented then the VA won't recognize it as service connected and compensate for it once you're finished with your service. Not reporting it now could put you in for a much bigger fight later and given that you'll likely never see your recruiter again, it's not worth helping them meet their recruitment goals.

As for the scar, each one is different and some never go away. It's really hard to tell.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cover a scar.. are you kiddin.. it's a badge of honor ;)

I had knee surgery on 07/10 tore the quad from the patella tendon(right knee)..nice nasty scar runs about 8" or so ..what's worse..they didn't align the tat lines so I got to get that fixed ;)(not kidding)
but in reality I'm just glad it's fixed and I can walk..don't really care about the scar which over time has lightened some .

Strgazr

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Blanchard, OK
Visit site
Mederma can help reduce a scar, but of course everyone is different. It says it works better on newer scars than on older ones. It faded a scar on my husband's arm quite a bit. He didn't use it as directed either, just barely remembered to put it on a few times here and there.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I have lots of scars. Some from surgeries (from infections, most self inflicted) and some just self inflicted scars. My step-dad is a plastic surgeon and he says I scar well. (meaning my scars are lighter than my skin and not particularly raised). So, in my case, scar diminishing treatments would likely do nothing. He does say they do help in cases of scars that are a) darker than the rest of your skin and b)raised. But, it takes a long time, (several months), and it is never certain how well the treatment will work. The treatment is best for small scars--areas of large scarring etc. are often treated surgically--cut out the large scar and replace it with a smaller one type deal, after stretching the skin with balloons underneath. However, rubbing the scar with pure vitamin E oil (pop a vitamin E pill), will probably work just as well as any expensive ointment that claims to be specific to scar healing. (He's not a fan of them, at any rate).

Emily

katepeter097

AC Members
Oct 21, 2019
I also have scars on my leg, and I understand it really look so ugly and bad, for removing it or for lighter I use Trilastin cream, I bought this cream from TriLASTIN Coupons at Reecoupons, I am also using this cream first time and really within 3 months I really get a good result, I suggest you once use this at least three months hope you will also get a good result.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store