Inverts Copper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flytekk

AC Members
Apr 18, 2012
Hey i just started my tank and my new fish have ich. Ive raised the temp to 84-85 and have added the recommended amount of salt as described in many websites to fight ich.

I didnt use copper because i intend to keep shrimp, snails and crayfish in the near future.

In the marine world copper is a no no becuase even after u remove with carbon, copper media, and water changes a small amount stays behind enough to kill inverts.

Im assuming the same goes for freshwater.

My questions are will high temps and salts be enough to cure ich.

Or must i use copper. And if copper is used will i ever be able to keep inverts later on?

flytekk

AC Members
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks! How do i know what they can tolerate? Its 20 cardinal Tetras and 5 Geophagus Tapajos. All of which are either an 1" or less in size.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Saltwater and freshwater are almost identical except for the salt and fresh part. Right?
No.

If you need to use copper to kill off the Ich parasite, do it now, before you start keeping inverts. Unless you use malachite green, a couple of water changes will remove enough of the copper to be safe for freshwater inverts. Other than some very sensitive, very expensive shrimp. Those you'd not be keeping in a mixed tank, anyway.

In the future quarantine everything that isn't inert, before it goes into your display tanks.
The best way to deal with disease is to not bring it into your tanks in the first place.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Salt and higher temp have proven to work. If you have scaleless fish such as many tetras and bottom feeders you must use 1/2 the normal dose of salt as they cannot tolerate it well. You should also treat for 14 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store