Discus mating threesome??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dita

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this happening in a community tank. I had a mated pair, and then I had a triad. 2 females mating at the same time, on the same branch location with a single male. There seems to be a bit of female jealousy, but they both lay their eggs and let each other lay too. I should take a picture of the egg stash... it's huge. Poor male probably can't keep up. This is the first time I've seen it. I knew something was up with the 3 of them for the past few weeks, I thought the male was a little partial to this 2nd female, but I had no idea he would keep them both. This same male has changed partners in my tank in the past. He even seems to break up the catfights a bit too. Anyone know if this will continue??

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I have heard of this type of thing occuring before, i.e. two females wanting to spawn, and perfectly happy to lay eggs together, & co-habitate, if you will. The male is not likely overconcerned, I'm sure he knows what his job is, and he's likely prepared to co-operate. Whether or not he can, or will, successfully fertilize both spawns at once remains to be seen.

But, it's a community tank - so the big question mark is - what about any hatchlings if there are some - how many will there be from both spawnings ? And what about attachment after free-swimming if the trio is able to keep all other fish in the community at bay - will all 3 participate, or will you witness some eating of the eggs, or even fry, by one or all of the threesome ?

Very interesting - will you please keep us informed ?
If it were me, I think I would try to isolate the triad into a tank of their own & see how things develop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store