Does anyone keep stone crabs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I was wondering if anyone keeps stone crabs in their sw tanks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Crabs are evil. Bigger crabs are more evil. Stone crabs get big. Keep them in boiling water for a few minutes instead.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Great cleanup invert. Theyll eat just about anything. Algae, detritus, fish food, any invert you could possibly keep, just about all non-aggressive fish, any aggressive fish under a foot, tank equipment.

Cleanup crews can, theoretically, go too far...

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Lol good to know. We have them in abundance around here so I was jw. Are blue crabs the same deal?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't know anyone keeping them in a main tank, know a couple people who had them come in on rock. I also believe FL has a minimum size when it comes to harvesting them so check the legalities of it first.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Stones are much more massive than Blues, and the amount of evil in a crab increases exponentially with mass. Stones are a heavyweight crushing everything in their path. Blues are a middleweight that relies much more heavily on fancy footwork and finesse to destroy everything in it's path.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Don't know anyone keeping them in a main tank, know a couple people who had them come in on rock. I also believe FL has a minimum size when it comes to harvesting them so check the legalities of it first.
For sure! If you had a couple really tinies and told him you wanted them for a tank a nice game warden might let you slide, and at worst would make you dump them. But if they were remotely eating size but not legal, you might be in trouble.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well we just catch them in traps off of our dock so theres no problem with any sizes (not that there couldnt be but its highly unlikely to arise.) We get stone crab and blue crab all the time, once we even caught a fairly large sheepshead in the trap lol it must have swam in to get some barnacles and couldnt get out. My parents are thinking of a large sw tank and might have it from things we catch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store