What am I?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Of course the LFS didn't have a label saying anything besides Ancestrus.. So could you guys please ID him or her. I have no idea where to begin, I've been staying away from the Plecos b/c most are too big for my tanks. So I need an ID to care for him properly. I asked the owner if it's a strict plant eater, driftwood eater, meat eater but he seems to think all Plecos just need algae so I have no idea about this guy. It was really hard to catch so I hope these pics suffice. He really had faded looking markings, it's not the light.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I think you will have to wait for it to grow up.
Nothing about it says its not Ancistrus (bristlenose) but there is no way to tell by looking at a young fish. If you got it from your LFS there is a good chance it was locally breed- these guys breed like crazy.... ask them where they got it. If it was part of their weekly shipment from thir importer who knows, but if it is a local breeder you'll have a solid answer.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It was from their importer. Not a great LFS, they won't know anything more about them. God, I hope it's not a common pleco. I hope I don't end up with a behemoth. I hate having to rehome and I just don't have a big enough tank for one and can't get one.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Do you think maybe a pitbull pleco?

I haven't seen him or her since I put it in my main tank. I wonder if there's a difference between bog wood and drift wood?

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Do you think maybe a pitbull pleco?

I haven't seen him or her since I put it in my main tank. I wonder if there's a difference between bog wood and drift wood?
The head matches one, but the body doesn't... It may have to grow up some before we can know for sure what it is.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
The head does match a pitbull but like the other person said the body doesn't. The term common pleco means little considering several fish fall under this title now. Hypostomus plecostomus which gets roughly nine inches Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus which gets nine to twelve Pterygoplichthys pardalis which gets up to eighteen and Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps getting eighteen to twenty four inches. From its body shape I would be confident in saying its none of these guys. A better picture would help or just wait for it to get bigger.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
There is no difference between bog wood and driftwood. Its like tennis shoes vs sneakers.

Dont worry, you'll know soon enough. There is nothing about this fish makes me think he's not anstricus- and I've been keeping and breeding them for years. At first glance i might have thought common pleco because of the pale patches on his/her body but after looking for a moment they are clearly from the net, you must have had a rookie catching him. You cant be 100% sure until he stops getting bigger or starts growing bristles.

Everything points to a BN, but you'll have to wait to be positive. The good news is anstricus are really prolific breeders in captivity so the chances are on your side that the ID is correct. If it was some rare expensive non-captive breeding fish, I'd have my doubts, but in this case the odds are in your favor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store