new canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joel00667

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
Columbia SC
Real Name
Alex
Hi everyone , I just added an eheim ecco pro canister filter to my tank , I have in it live rock like 20lbs of it, and sand bed, so I think that is my bio filter.
I also have a protein skimmer and my tank is a 30 gallon .
the canister filter has a carbon pad and bio ceramic balls. was it a good idea to add it to my tank and how can i make it more efficient? should I change the bio media?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sand and rock are you bio filter. You don't really need the ceramic balls they'll just trap stuff and raise your nitrates. Stuff that would be good to run in it pad/sponge, purigen, or gfo. It would also be wise to rinse the media off weekly.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Sand and rock are you bio filter. You don't really need the ceramic balls they'll just trap stuff and raise your nitrates. Stuff that would be good to run in it pad/sponge, purigen, or gfo. It would also be wise to rinse the media off weekly.
+1 would add a sponge too for mechanical filtration, to catch some of the debris in water, and rinse it out when do WC's

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Joel00667

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2012
Columbia SC
Real Name
Alex
thanks everyone I went to my local fish store and got the sponge, and also took all the media out and put live rubble rock and algae there and some sand so is kind like a mini sump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store