New to reef keeping.. Lighting advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asphaltblues

Chief Grump
Jul 10, 2011
N/E Connecticut... The "Quiet Corner"
Real Name
Eric
I'm not sure what size exactly I will end up with, but I'll be in the 20-40 gal range... I have decided that a T5 HO fixture, namely an AquaticLife.... will best suit my budget. My question is... Given the gallon range of expected tank size... Am I better off with a 6 bulb fixture, or a 4 bulb? I want to make sure I have enough light, but am afraid a 6 bulb might be too much?

Thanks Eric

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well first let me suggest going with a 40 breeder tank, good dimensions for aquascaping, and will most likely be on sale soon for $40 at Petco, the last couple years they usually have run the $1 gallon sale in January.

As far as 4 vs 6 either will support quite a bit of corals, if you think you may want to keep alot of SPS and LPS corals I would say go with the 6 bulb, either fixture would allow you to keep some but 6 bulb will allow you to place them at deeper depths and therefore allowing more of them. I'm not sure if AquaticLife's have individual reflectors or just a big one piece, if its a one piece and its the fixture you're set on buying that would also have me leaning toward 6 over 4.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I personally would go with a 6 bulb, it opens your range for corals.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
+1 vote for Moar Light. Chances are much reduced that you will gnash your teeth and wish you had less/lower level of light, vs the alternative.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I use a 4 bulb over my 20g long. It's plenty of light for my softies and LPS. But if u go for a 40g breeder, would at least use a 6 bulb for more coverage.
I wouldn't worry bout too much light. Hav my light hanging above tank. Works well cause can adjust the intensity of light by just raising or lowering the fixture above tank. I screwed shelf standards to wall, and light hang from brackets off the standards. So just hav to unhook the brackets and move up or down to another slot in standard. You could also just use chain and adjust height with the links. Just a couple ideas for mounting options to keep in mind.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

asphaltblues

Chief Grump
Jul 10, 2011
N/E Connecticut... The "Quiet Corner"
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for all the advice... I was pretty sure 6 bulb would be ok, but I didn't want to outlay the extra money for a fixture that would have been more light than needed... I understand that a taller tank would need more light than a shorter, but wanted to be sure since I would be possibly in the "nano" class for tank size... I will go for a 6 bulb then... I'm sure I'll be starting out with live rock to start and slowly adding SPS and LPS as time goes on... I hear this coral hobby can get quite addictive, and want a light I can grow with...:D
Oh, and I believe that the fixture has individual reflectors... not just one... Thanks again!

Eric

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
My light is also suspended from the ceiling.
The lights are currently off for the evening though.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Reef tanks/corals r no doubt addicting!!!
^ Nice! I've had numerous lighting setups on reefs in past. I think suspending your lighting, b T5 or MH, best way to go :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
40B for sure and I say go with the 6 bulbs. I think you can do SPS with 4 but 6 allows you to add in some different bulbe like a fiji and would be better - I have seen amazing reefs under an ati sunpower - jmo

I personally am putting the new Maxspect razor led light over my 40B but it hasn't arrived yet for me to give you feedback.

Let's see that build thread (I should start mine too)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store