Can Hard water cause my Angelfish eggs and fry to die

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have tried everything to find out why my Angelfish eggs and fry die. Many of them die about 48 hrs after they were laid and others of the same batch die after they become fry. The fry seem to be very weak and eventually die off. There were about 100 eggs or more and 4 fry have survived. I have tested my water and the PH is 6.5-7.0 but my hardness is about 180. Could they die from the hard water? Everything else is perfect.
Thanks!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Unless you are moving them to a fry tank, I would consider predation. Non-viable eggs will turn white and fungus can cause their death as well. Try using Methylene Blue the next time you have some.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Where did you get your angels? Could be poor stock...Could be water conditions, predation, lack of food. There are a lot of reasons for fry not to thrive. Keep in mind that in the wild, hundreds are hatched so that only a couple can survive to reproduce.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
It can't be lack of food. You don't feed them till they are free swiming. They die in the egg stage or the wiggle stage. It can't be poor stock because I have black angels from one oplace and Platinum from another. They are all from a fish Club that knows how to breed angels. We have used the water from the parents, day old water and some fresh with declore. Ive tested my water and even had the LFS test it and they say my water is fine for adults in our area. I thought maybe it could be to hard for babies.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I am not sure what predation is. I have looked it up and think what it means is there is another predator in my tank. What is the preditor? Is it a virus or a fungus in the water before the eggs were laid? How can that be. I am very clean with my tanks. I clean them once a week about 35%. and every 3 weeks 50%.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
There are number of things that can cause poor fertilization and survival rates of eggs/fry.
Yes it could be water... I know a breeder who was successful at his old shop but moved a few miles to a different shop and success was very limited. test of the water proved to be the culprit.. the iron content of the water in his new location proved to be the issue.
so yes you may have too much TDS in the water and this could cause the issues you are seeing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store