Africans with Weather Loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My dad has been pushing for me to get African Cichlids for years now, and I have the opprotunity to do it in my 55g. What lakes/species would I want for a PH of about 7, and a temp of 72-76? So far I've only read that Lake Victoria is my best bet, but I really was hoping to get shell dwellers and fish from Lake Tang. Are there any tanganyikans that will work?

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
Honestly, your pH doesn't matter a lot as long as you get fish from the LFS. Chances are, they were probably raised on the same water.
Even if you buy fish online, you can acclimate them to your pH.

I say go for the Tangs.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
There are many Tangs that would work in a 55gal. For shell dwellers Neolamprologus multifasciatus (multies) are great favorites. With a big rock pile in one side of the tank, you can add a Julidochromis like transcriptus or ornatus in there. Pittbull can tell you if any other species is possible in a tank like that. As for the pH, you can use crushed coral as substrate or an Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate; these will act as great pH buffers to stabilize the pH for your Tangs.

cichlidsguppies

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
I don't have any experience with them but neolamprologus (idk if thats spelled right) occelatus gold are really pretty and I hear that they have tons of personality.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Just research what you really want most Tangs will acclimate to your water values, Like Efors stated those are a good start for Tang's and the substrate will add to that, Lelupi are nice with a yellow pop also if you can find them Lepidiolamprologus Meeli are a good addition.. Not sure if DoJo weather loaches with Tang's is a good ideal though..

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I found a home for the dojo's, so now I'm starting to research my planned species more. I definitely want to go Lake Tang and get some kind of shell dwellers, but I was hoping to have more going on with the hardscape than just shells. I'm thinking about making my own knock off texas holy rock out of foam but I need to test some mock-ups first to make sure it's viable. If anyone has expereince or links to DIY rock like that, please tell me.

If I go with a species like the gold occellatus for shellies, what kind of fish could I get for the mid/top? What about a clean up crew, what species of shrimp/snail work with Tangs? Right now the tank is "empty", I just have some giant danios from the 125 keeping the bacteria alive until I get the new fish.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
Standard 55, yes?
You could get away with 1 species of shellies, 1 species of calvus/comp and 1 species of non jumbo cyps.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good paracyprichromis nigripinnis sound better if you can find them.. as for the fake rocks they look realistic so i would go for it, i too want to start making my own rocks like this so if you find a link let me know..

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Standard 55, yes?
You could get away with 1 species of shellies, 1 species of calvus/comp and 1 species of non jumbo cyps.
This is what I'm considering right now, what about some type of non-shellie bottom dweller? I was considering a smaller Syno catfish. Also, what kind of numbers would I be looking at with Ocellatus, Calvus/Comp (looking at the 5-6" ones currently) and one of the 1-2" cyp species? (Probobly the nigripinnis that Pittbull suggested)

Sounds good paracyprichromis nigripinnis sound better if you can find them.. as for the fake rocks they look realistic so i would go for it, i too want to start making my own rocks like this so if you find a link let me know..
I haven't had luck at a couple of my LFS with these guys, for whatever reason stores near me stock almost every fish except tangs. Still have a couple of the bigger places to check out though, so hopefully I'll find them there.

I'm just going to order those rocks, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to make them myself. I'll let you know if I stumble across anything about making them, but I imagine it would be similar to making a 3d background.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store