Live Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidsguppies

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with live plants and mbunas? I know that they tend to tare them up, but If you were successful, what kind of plants did you have?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Anubias Nana and other varieties of Anubias also Java fern are the two that worked for me and is what i would recommend..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Those 2 may be your best choices for mbunas; but they did not work for me anyways. My mbunas didn't eat them, but tore them in small pieces just for fun, apparently.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
Anubias worked for me.
I'm trying out Val but they seem to cut them down when they get to a certain length.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Fakes are just as good with some of the more realistic ones available today..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Live plants are an excellent idea in any tank. They give additional biofilter, and just generally improve the ecosystem. And they look great.

Speaking from personal experience, Java Fern and Anubias do well - give 'em a shot. Pick up a couple of each and worst case, if your tear them up, you're out a few bucks. Decent looking fake plants are much more pricey. And they look fake.

I once kept my mostly mbuna with a load of plants, including some that you 'just can't do) - mosses and what not. Granted it was a pain in the *** to keep the filter inlets clear of debris, and every now and then some plants would be shredded so I took out most of the green.

But Java Fern, Anubias and Crinium were all 100% successful and I have those in the tank to this day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store