3 gallon Betta tank/betta recently died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I recently lost one of my bettas a few days ago to dropsy, my other two are fine. I feel bad for not noticing him having dropsy, I changed his water twice a week, I had him in a vase. I don't want to use the vase anymore, since the fish gotten dropsy. I had another betta in a gallon pet carrier, but I devided my 10 gallon, so my 2 remaining bettas don't fit. I'm planning on getting rid of the pet carrier and not using those bloodly old vases I have. I'll post pictures of my ten gallon soon.

I'm planning on replacing the vases and the gallon pet carrier with a 3 gallon tank. I can get one for $30 at Wal-Mart and I have a $50 gift card I'm going to use for it. It comes with a filter, a led bubbler and a lid. I can also pick up a heater for the tank. What gravel should I get, I have all natural gravel in my other tanks. I'm getting live plants for the tank and some hiding places. I love my fish, but it's a pain when I lose one, it upsets me. I am going to Petco to get the plants and some other stuff. I have 3 jars of betta food, which will last me 3-7 years.

Please don't bash me about having my bettas in the vases, I took the Halfmoon Plaket out of his pet carrier, he didn't have any signs of dropsy, he wasn't moving all to much, not that he's in a heated tank, he's normal. The betta that had dropsy was one of my halfmoons, the grey/purple guy. I tried to save him, but I couldn't. I just use the vase for flowers or something from now on.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
You can get a way better deal on a 3 gallon tank.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
The local petstore doesn't have 3 gallon tanks... and Petco I have to buy everything such has the filter/ bubbler and heater, which i would spend up to $50. But I don't have a Petco near me, and the Petsmart hasn't opened yet. The 3 gallon at wal-mart comes with the filter and bubbler/light. I have $50 for Wal-mart...

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
petcos $/gallon sale is on . try the hawkeye for $20.00. its a five gallon with great reviews. a lot of betta keepers use this one.you can check it out online at walmart.com. strange........... to use a vase for flowers?:huh:

Last edited:

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Hey- I feel your pain.

Im glad you didnt notice he had dropsy becasue your LFS would have pumped you full of meds that wouldnt have worked. Dropsy is a visible symptom of acute kidney failure- it is incurable. Forget the nonsense you hear about bacterial infecions that can be cured. In my 20 years of fish keeping I've heard three or four anecdotal stories from rookies who claim they have brought a fish back. Ive never seen an experienced aquarium keeper claim to have ever seena recovery. If it happens again, use clove oil to euthanize the fish. Not vodka, not ice water- clove oil, you can get it in the pahrmacy- over the counter its used to numb tooth aches.

I think a vase is as good a container as any to keep a beta, but any time you have a tank without active filtration you must change most of the water (90-95%) at least twice a week and feed sparingly. Obviously, the bigger the container the better, and if you have one with stangnant water that isnt being actively filtered please add some plants- a peace lilly or some lucky bamboo.

betas dont need heat- although warm water will speed up his metabolism and he will be more active and lively.

Good luck with the new tank. Read about the nitrogen cycle and if your fish seems wonky, or stressed out of wierd, or not eating.. Stop feeding it and do a water change. Then do a water change. stay away from drafty windows and keep the temperature constant.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Dropsy isnt contagous, so if you want to reuse the vase you will be fine.

I think you need to feed less, becasue if you were doing twice weekly water changes that should be plenty. I know we all want to feed our pets especially if you grew up with a dog, like I did. but you're not helping your fish. There shouldnt ever be uneaten fish food on the bottom. Not ever. Were you doing water changes with water at the same temp as the room? Temp swings are bad for fish.

If you buy plants at the lfs- be careful. A lot of them are not true aquatics- and you probably dont have suffient light to keep them happy even if they are. You might do more damage than good. Lucky bamboo- with its leaves above the water line, outside the container- is great for beta bowls or tanks without active filtration. It doesnt need much light and its pretty much happy anywhere. If you buy what you think is an aquatic plant or is an aquatic plant you dont have enough light to grow, it will die and it will further foul your water- making your fish more likely to get sick and die.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
unless your house remains at a constant 76 degrees with out fail, you need a heater. betta require a minimum of 2 gallons for them to thrive. unless your vase can hold 2 gallons and can be heated, its for flowers only. peace lilys don't work either. they would have to grow emersed, whick would seal off the access to the surface of the water. bettas need to be able to reach the surface of the water or they will die. they also put off a toxin (oxalates) , if he start munching on the roots, he could get sick..

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Hey- I feel your pain.

Im glad you didnt notice he had dropsy becasue your LFS would have pumped you full of meds that wouldnt have worked. Dropsy is a visible symptom of acute kidney failure- it is incurable. Forget the nonsense you hear about bacterial infecions that can be cured. In my 20 years of fish keeping I've heard three or four anecdotal stories from rookies who claim they have brought a fish back

betas dont need heat- although warm water will speed up his metabolism and he will be more active and lively.

Good luck with the new tank. Read about the nitrogen cycle and if your fish seems wonky, or stressed out of wierd, or not eating.. Stop feeding it and do a water change. Then do a water change. stay away from drafty windows and keep the temperature constant.
I noticed that he had Dropsy a little to late... this has been the third time this happened to any of my fish, in a 5 year span, but I been keeping fish for 10 years, and never had it back then. My dad never even heard of it, so I had to explain it to him, he's been in this hobby for over 25 yrs. But when I noticed it, it was to late to save him... he died 2 days after I noticed... He did go without a water change for a a little over a week, I was away and no one to check them. My grandma keeps the house at 63-65 (and its always at that temp during fall and winter and I lost most of my bettas during this time cause it got cold) and I'm cold at that temp..my 10g's temp is about 72-74 since I have a heater in it. Bettas are tropcial fish, they need a water temp of 70 or more.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have live plants in my other 2 tanks and I have to keep the newer tank small cause I'm putting it on my dresser or my desk. Don't know yet.

Here is a picture of the ten gallon. The water is a little low, but I'm going to do a water change in a few. My two remaining bettas, My HMPT Fredric is on the left side and my HM Duane on the right. I also keep some of my guppies in it so they can grow big enough to place in the 37, and some are close to 2" now. Mostly females, I'm leaving the Endlers in the tank.

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store