About to start my very first reef aquarium - Any advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zimmertr

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2012
I've been keeping freshwater aquariums for years now. I've had goldfish tanks, community tanks, cichlids, heavily planted, lots of driftwood, everything. And for about a year now, I've been really wanting to make a saltwater tank. I've done TONS of research and I recently found a great deal on Craigslist that finally made me feel like I'm ready to start.

Someone listed a 60 Gallon marineland cube and stand for 50 bucks. I'm going to pick it up in a few days and I'm quite excited to say the least. Someone also just listed a Reef Octopus 1000 protein skimmer for 120 dollars that I'm thinking about getting as well. Is this a good protein skimmer for this tank? I feel like the only part of the whole process I don't understand so far is about protein skimmers and sumps.

The way I understand it right now, is that a sump is just an extra tank that contains all of your equipment like heaters, protein skimmers, etc so that it doesn't clutter up your main tank, am I right?

Also, here is the other stuff that I'm considering buying, as of right now:

Equipment:

[*] Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump - $15.32
[*] 2x 1300gph Power Heads - $20.00
[*] Aqueon Heater 300w - $23.13
[*] 60G Marineland Cube Aquarium - $50.00
[*] Reef Octapus Super 1000 Protein Skimmer - $120.00
[*] Some sort of Lighting - ~$100?

Miscellaneous:

[*] 60lbs of White Fiji Aragonite Live Reef Sand - $ 58.93
[*] 60lbs of assorted live rock (This will be picked out at my local LFS soon) - ~$75.00 right?
[*] Kent Marine Reef Salt Mix 50 Gallons - $21.98
[*] Non Contact Infared Thermometer - $16.95
[*] API Saltwater Master Test Kits - $22.99
[*] 25ft of Airline Tubing - $5.99
[*] 2x 14" Bubble Wands - $6.09
[*] 18x Suctions Cups - $3.17
[*] ~50g of Reverse Osmosis/Deionized Water - ~$20?

Questions after having listed all of those things are:

1) Is that a good protein skimmer? All of the reviews on the internet seems to be 4 and 5 star aside from the noobs who overflow the thing. The Craigslist guy says it works great and is only a year old.

2) Do you think a 60G Cube is a good place to start?

3) What should I do for lighting? I kind of like the whole super bright almost fake color looking reef tanks, haha. I'm assuming that's LED? I've never used anything other than T5 and T8..

4) How many gallons of salt mix do I need?

5) Is that a good test kit?

6) Do I need a sump? I have a 10g aquariums just sitting around. Could I somehow convert this into one? I think people make these buy just going to Home Depot and buying sheets of pre-cut glass and just siliconing them in?

7) Should I invest in a Water RO/DI thing, should I buy purified water from meijer, or should I just somehow use my citywater tap?

8) Is there any equipment or anything that I have missed?

9) Which of these things do I absolutely have to buy right now? As you
can see, this list runs all the way up to about $525 dollars and not buying all of it right now would be super awesome.. So basically, can I just buy some of it now, wait a few months, and then buy the rest?

10) What do you think I should eventually stock this guy with? I've been researching and this is as far as I've gotten so far. I, of course, want to add a little more to this list, still.

[*]2x Orange Clownfish
[*]2 or 3 Firefish
[*]1x Wheeler's Shrimp Goby
[*]3 or 4 Emerald Crabs
[*]3 or 4 Camel Shrimp
[*]3 or 4 Electric Blue hermit crabs
[*]Some sort of sea stars?
[*]Some anemones?
[*]Some more fish?

11) What should I do for food?

12) What is a good breakdown of the cycling process for a saltwater tank? Also, what is a good breakdown on curing the live rock and cleaning the live sand?

And finally.. I know I probably look like I'm extremely new to this whole thing, and rightfully so. But please don't just comment saying "What you need to buy first, is all of the books so that you can read up on how to start a reef tank" I understand I need to do more research, still. But that is why I'm coming here and asking you veterans questions - to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. I always learn far better by doing it myself than by reading, anyway. And I'm willing to make mistakes as long as they don't cost me 100's of dollars.

Thank you for reading all of this! Any insight would be very much appreciated, even if it's just advice or answering 1 or 2 of my questions.

EDIT: Here are links to my crossposts for anyone who finds this in the future looking for advice:

[*]/r/Aquariums
[*]/r/ReefTanks

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Ok, I won't do what you said (tell you to go read a book) but an answer to every question you are asking is answered in some form or fashion on a 100+ different online forums and articles. Those answers are only opinions so take what anyone tells you as that. Everyone has a different experience or preference.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way...Nice tank! Congrats!

1. If this is the skimmer you are getting for $120 then yes, it is an excellent skimmer.
http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Oct...p/OC9155.htm?gclid=CJGP5NCiubQCFQY5nAodvQUAHQ

2. Yes, definitely. The only thing I will add is that if you want big fish, this is not your best choice. The reason I say that is because the cost of setting up this tank will be about the same as say a 120 to 150 which will allow you to keep tangs and angels. Yes, you could put a kole tang or a small yellow in a 60 gallon but its a cube and not ideal for them. The price you are getting on this tank is very good and it is a nice, quality tank.

3. Reef or fish only? If the former, $100 likely will not cut it unless you can find another good deal on a used light. T5s, halides and LED are your choices and for anything decent your $200 (ebay) to $450 minimum. Personally, a AI Sol Blue or Vega would be my choice. IF your handy you can DIY LEDs www.rapidled.com. If this will be fish only anything that looks good to you will work.

4. I would get a 150-200 gallon pale/box but 2 x 50 gallon bags will get you started. Salt mix is your choice.

5. Yes, its fine as long as it isn't expired. There are better kits for Ca, Mg, alkalinity and phosphate (API range is too big) but API will work for now. If this is not going to be a reef don't even bother with Ca, alk or Mg.

6. Yes. Buy one. Not even a question.

7. Yep. 10 gallon is too small though. Find the biggest tank/sump you can find to fit under the tank (and still be able to access equip.) or put the sump somewhere else if you can. More water the better and a 10-gallon would likely overflow from the back-siphon alone.

8. Is this tank drilled??? If so, you need plumbing if it doesn't come with it. If it isn't drilled, you will either need to have it drilled or get a hang on overflow box. Regardless of whether it is drilled you will need a return pump. Others things: buckets...something to mix SW in...small pump to mix SW...refractometer or hydrometer. 60 lbs is too much sand unless you are going for a DSB (in which case you will need more sand). 40 lbs might still be too much for those dimensions. Shoot for 1/2" to 2" max. Might consider two 150W heaters if you can swing it. That way if one sticks, it will take a lot longer to cook your tank without you noticing (good thing :)Consider a temperature controller for the future.

9. You will never need the air stone, bubble wands, etc. Lighting can wait until at least the tank is cycled (and even longer with only fish/inverts). Just don't get caught up in all the "accessories" and buy what you need. With all the tanks you've had, I bet you have some things that you can use.

10. No camel shrimp unless you will never keep corals. No anemones without good lighting and a stable tank (6+ months is the rule of thumb but the longer, the better).

11. mysis, flake, pellet, homemade frozen. lots of options.

12. Just google it.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I'd be careful with the bubble wands. They generally aren't used for saltwater tanks because the bubbles pop at the surface and cause even more salt creep on your light fixture.

If I were to do it again, I would never buy as much LR as I did. I went by the old pound per gallon rule only to realize I hated the "stuffed with rock" look in my tank. Some people know how to make it work with coral placement and such but every time I tried to use all the rock I bought, it just looked like a cluttered dump. Also personally, I wouldn't waste my money on buying all LR to start out with. I would just buy dry rock (from marco rocks or BRS) with a piece or two of live and then let it seed the dry rock.

And idk what kind of rock your LFS has but for reefs, I like to have rock with nooks and crannies to place corals in. Another thing that comes to mind, I would finish the bulk of my aquascape before it goes into water. Im currently trying to make a more interesting aquascape but the fact that all my rock is live and will cause a cycle if it stays out too long makes it difficult to really take my time and design.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
First I will start and say listen to greech as he knows what he is talking about. I just couldn't resist putting my 2 cents in so with that disclamer out of the way here I go ;)

1) If you can get that skimmer for that price JUMP ON IT! And PLEASE let me know where you are getting it.

2) Love the 60G Cube. I would say no to tang but that is just my opinion 75 would be min I would do one in but like greech said: opinions will vary.

3) I agree with greech again! I would recommend you start off with FOWLR (fish only with live rock) until you get your "feet wet" so to speak - again jmo

4) If you want a recommendation I use seachem. You can top off with RO/DI but you should still be doing water changes and that is where the salt comes in so you will need it sooner or later.

5) greech said it perfectly. I am thining about getting the hanna checkers as I have been hearing good things - greech what do you think?

6) I use one but I have seen some VERY beautiful aquariums (reefs even) that are sumpless and even skimmerless - If this interest you I can give you more info

7) He's right.

8) Agree with greech again but I would add that if I am running a sump I would only have a drilled tank. Over the side overflows make me super nervous.

9) Super good advice from greech

10) Please listen to this advice!!! This hobby takes patience! (well patience and money)

11) Depends on what you end up stocking it with

12) PLEASE google it! :)

Welcome to the addiction!!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I always wanted to see my name up in lights! :)

Mixed reviews in the hanna's but never used on myself. My salifert PO4 kit seems pretty reliable. The issue with API PO4 kit is that the low range just isn't low enough and the graduations of the scale are too large.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I figured I would do the mod name highlight for you, haha!

Agreed if you are running a GFO reactor or zeovit then they are not going to give you accurate readings

slight distraction with regards to testing and low phosphates: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1182318

back to zimmertr: let us know if you are doing reef or fowlr and I am sure we can help you spend your money with suggested stocking (better give us a budget too) ;) did I mention this hobby takes money?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store