Give Tangs a Shot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
I currently keep Peacocks/Haps and have had mbuna, but I want to give Tangs a try in a 40G Breeder that I'll be setting up. I am completely new to them and need to do my research, but was wondering if I could get suggestions on which Tangs I should try. Should I do one species or a community tank of various Tangs (shell-dwellers, open water, rocks)? I'd like to keep something that looks nice but also displays their fascinating behaviors.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
40 breeders are good for species only and is what i would do but you can sometimes mix a couple species together like Lelupi or Julidochromis..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Well, when I get around to setting up my dormant tank as a tang tank it will be shelldwellers - I just think they're awesome little fish. Not sure exactly what I would put in there but that's where I'd start.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
I would do shellies and 1 species of rock dweller.

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
Which shelldwellers would you guys choose? Could I do Black Calvus with shellies? If not, could you please recommend another fish I could do with shellies?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
for open water/shell spawner i would do multis, rock dwellers i would do a type of julidocromis.
I agree. Create a big rock pile in one side of the tank; that's where the Julidochromis species will live (J. ornatus or J. transcriptus are the best choices for that tank, IMO). In the other side of the tank, put a bunch of shells (at least 3 for each shell dweller); that's where the colony of your shell dwellers will live (Neolamprologus multifasciatus, the multis, are a great choice).

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Julidochromis can be a little nastier than Lelupi but if you want to go this route start out very young, Calvus get a lot bigger than most shell dwellers so in the long run your shellies will become food, as for a good starting point you could go with Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (shellie) or Neomprologus Ocellatus (shellie) Just because shellies are small does not mean that they are shy or less aggressive they can really hold there own.. Really a 40 breeder footprint is not that great when it comes to multiple species so if you def want to go the route of adding a couple of species then as stated above you can add one of the shellies that i have mentioned and a rock dweller like the Julidochromis or Lelupi..

Sand for substrate, rocks on one side piled midway to top and a crap load of shells on the other side, as everything progresses you are more than likely not going to have a big colony of shellies due to predating from whatever you decide to keep together.. But if you def start out with small species they can grow up together, shellies mature a whole lot faster and will start breeding and form a strong colony by the time your other species reach maturity..

Good luck with the setup..

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
Really a 40 breeder footprint is not that great when it comes to multiple species so if you def want to go the route of adding a couple of species then as stated above you can add one of the shellies that i have mentioned and a rock dweller like the Julidochromis or Lelupi..
What footprint is better for multiple species of Tangs? A longer tank?

Can I feed them NLS? What do you guys feed them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store