BUCKETFISH'S new 40B update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Hey guys! Happy holidays to all of you!

Somehow, some way...somebody at the North Pole REALLY screwed up, or they ran out of coal and only had scuba diving lessons and canister filters left :) Even though I can swim pretty daggon well...I am SOOO SCARED.Have any of you guys gotten certified in diving? Will I be ok?!?!?

Sooooo.. Back my original topic: I received a fluval 206 canister filter yesterday, yet to set it up, but here's my plan:

-FOWLR Saltwater setup
-***Stocking list: Valentini puffer, scissortail goby, Copperband butterfly, chocolate chip starfish, emerald crab, condylactus anemone, lettuce leaf sea cucumber
-40B tank, glass canopy top
-***25 lbs dry rock, 15 lbs live, 40lbs onyx/black sand (can I do half live and half dry?)
-Fluval 206 external canister filter
-***Coralife skimmer, up to 65gallon model
-***Marineland double bright LED light, 36-48"

the ones on this list with *** are not decided or purchased yet, i'm looking for changes in my plan with these...

thanx again!

-Fluval 206

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice gift!!! Wish I could help you with the diving but I have never done it :(. I hope to some day though. Have fun!

I was with you on the stock list until you got to the copper band and then condy. The condy would probably survive under the ML LEDs but I wouldn't expect it to thrive. This would be a much better light but not LED...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Wave_Poi...vePoint_Technology-ZP01001-FILTFIT54U-vi.html ...the 4 bulb is $100 more and would be even better.

The copperband is too big and hard enough to get eating in large tanks. I would not put a copper band in a small tank with a nem.

You can do all dry sand if you want but 1/2 and 1/2 is fine.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I concur with greech cbb usually have poor long term survival rates. I don't think I'd personally try keeping any nem's under a ML DB fixture.. maybe a rock flower nem.. A few low to low end medium lighting nem's exist but they're hard to find pop up on divers den occasionally but $$$$ and usually very difficult to care for alot of the lower light ones are cold water species. If you step up the lighting a little bit LTA's and Tube nem's will do fine under medium lighting.

Not sure about the coralife skimmer I'd probably opt to spend a little more for something better, dry sand and more dry over live rock to divert funds to better skimmer.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Agree with a better skimmer.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Reef Octopus makes a great skimmer for a great value - JMO

Canisters can be ok but you have to maintain them regularly, I personally wouldn't run one on SW but again that is JMO - I have run skimmerless/sumpless SW with success (just carbon in a HOB with surface skimming + live rock) but adding a skimmer makes a huge difference and I am setting up a 40B now with the zeovit system so I will be able to let you know about it soon ;)

I have heard a lot of bad feedback on the marineland fixtures but I am a fan of LED's

+1 on no CBB

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store