Live rock question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
-a few more hours till I start my build thread- woot.

Now, I was at the lfs earlier today. I was looking at their live rock. $5.99 a pound. Fiji. Basically fully purple(coraline algae). I bought about 5 pounds today.

I now have 3 pounds of live rock in the 10 gallon and like 6 pounds of dry.

I spent a tad more than 3 hours at the lfs today. I spent almost an hour looking at the live rock. From the looks of it, I saw no hitchhikers. No corals on the rocks too. Actually, the only inhabitants I saw in the live rock tank was a single urchin. This is the same tank where I bought my live rock.

Now, my question is, are there any chance of hitchhikers? I know for sure no corals on them. After an hour of looking, I came to a conclusion that there can't be any hitchhikers.
There aren't any snails in the tanks or any stars.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sounds similar to my LFS they have fiji, tonga, pukani, and flat plate like rock ranging from $5-$8 a lbs and its all in pretty clean tanks. I still ended up with mushrooms and a few aiptasia's popping up though. Still the chance of small crabs, stars, worms or snails hiding somewhere in the nooks of the rock.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Just because you can't see it now doesn't mean it isn't there. I still have new stuff growing out of my rocks. Give it some time. Eventually you will see sponges, etc. Micro stars are not all that obvious and may pop out. If not, you will be surprised how easy it is for new life to get into our tanks.

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Thanks guys. I was just browsing the saltwater newbie section and found a thread that had a hitchhiker appear after 3 months. Was one of those anemones (apastia) or something like that appeared :eek:

I think I might actually get more live rock but from a different lfs. Would love surprises (good).

What are your views on the big boxed stores live rock? I've heard mixed reviews. Just wondering.

Anyways, you two are great! Thanks so much for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
When I got LR from petco it was good. It was a good price also. I wouldn't't fill my entire tank with it, but a few pieces aren't bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Petco live rock is probably ok, I dont care for how the maricultured stuff looks they sell, has a lava rock look and off coloring.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Was one of those anemones (apastia) or something like that appeared :eek:
That isn't a good thing BTW :).

I don't like the look of the Walt Smith Petco rock either. The size of the pieces are typically pretty small and too uniform for my taste. It will work though. Another option is dry rock from bulk reef supply, marco rocks or your LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store