I need someone who knows Gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cidvb71

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2012
Please ..i have been googling my ...you know what off and cant find the answer to my question, I had 2 Gouramis blue dwarf? i believe, 1 died about a month ago,,,the other has suddenly become very very fat she (i think) does not appear to be sick so i am assuming she is full of eggs..i separated her because 4 tiger barbs were chasing her around picking on her, without a male in there to fertalize the eggs will she still spit them out? she has been fat for a while and appears to be getting fatter still how long does it take?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I moved this from the saltwater forum. You should get more views/responses here. Good luck!

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
I think gouramis lay eggs in bubble nests.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Labyrinth fish make bubble nests, if memory serves.

Lise

AC Members
Oct 13, 2010
She might be getting bloated, not from eggs. She may not act sick, just yet. Try adding some aquarium salt and giving her bits of a peeled pea. If she doesn't respond, you might give her a course of Melafix/Pimafix. The forum has many guidelines for treating bloat, and I would attempt the most natural remedies that I could, if I were in your situation.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Gouramis are anabantoids (labarynth fish), so you might try posting this in that section. If your fish is brightly colored and very pretty, chances are its a he, not a she. (I have never seen a she dwarf gourami, but I have been told that they are very plain in comparison to the males). Anyway, I know they make bubble nests, and (because they are labarynth fish), and the female lays eggs after and then after they are fertilized they get put in the bubble nest. It's possible you just have a sick fish, and need to treat it accordingly. You will probably get better info in the anabantoid section.

Emily

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I'm guessing it's bloat related to dwarf gourami disease. Nothing much to do about it...most US stock, unless sold by someone who has been breeding their own fish to cull sick ones, is infected.

Sorry for less than positive news.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store