Puffers...how many and what kinds for a 10g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
If you are not planing on upgrading at all then I would say only the Dwarfs as the Figs, South Americans, and Green Spots will all outgrow a 10. I would say you could have up to 5 or so in a 10 gallon if you had a heavily planted tank with lots of places to hide incase one puff starts bullying another. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Once you've made that move, you could probably have a pair of South Americans in the 33, along with a few other fish. They tend to be less aggressive than the others--even than the dwarves--but they require much more maintenance. They are prone to ich, so quarantining is a must, and are sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, as are all puffers. They also require a constant diet of crunchy foods--every meal needs to include snails or other thick shelled critters.

I have both SA and dwarf, and prefer the dwarves. They have more personality and are lower maintenance. I'd urge you to have the tank well planted, as well--they do better with lots of plants, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store