Sex that Angel Fish pt 2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Male or Female?

• Total voters

Kevin2k11

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
Ok everyone I decided to try to figure out all of my Angel Fish ....... weather male or female..
I'm gonna try my best... You can take a shot at it too :p
They are all over a year old...

From my research I gather..

Angel Fish #1:
Female? Seems like the breeding tube isnt pointy.. more like sloped...

Angel Fish #2:
Looks like a male.. .bump on head... point breeding tube..?

Angel Fish #3:

No breeding tube as well... but Shape looks female...?

Angel Fish #4:

Couple you said male... I'm thinking female..however I can't see breeding tubes yet... :|

And this is the tank they are in...
Looking to move the others out as soon as I get one pair

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
until you see the breeding tubes(ovipositor) you will be guessing at the sexes.

normal sexual dimorphisms in angels are not set in stone and do not develop until much older.
the hump on the forehead normally associated with male cichlids is not always present in the males and in many cases develops in the female.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A sure fire way to sex them is to watch them lay eggs. Even a single female will lay eggs eventually. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to sex angels just by looking at them. The breeding tube needs to be clearly visible/extended. I have a female angelfish with a large forehead so that is not a guaranteed way to sex angels, either. The fish in my avatar is a large, dominant female.

mohican

AC Members
Dec 14, 2012
I'm with slappy. Until they are on the act, your just guessing. Nice healthy angels tho, good red eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store