And so the slow slide of algae domination begins...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Here's the scoop

It's a 50gal display with a 40ish gal sump.
Currently running 1 cup of GFO
My params as of today were
SG - 1.025
Mg -1220 ppm
Ca - 390 ppm
kH - 10.9
No3 - .145 ppm --> it is water change day
Po4 - .06 ppm

The display inhabitants are
1 x Tennenti Tang (took as a last resort, if anyone wants him he is free!)
1 x African Flameback Angel
1 x Royal Gramma
2 x Perc clownfish (m/f)
1 x Emerald crab
? x snails

Coral wise there is a variety of SPS, LPS, and Mushrooms

Lighting for the display are
2 x 150w 10k metal halides
3 x blue plus
1 x purple plus

The sump houses
2 x Mandarin Dragonettes (m/f)
1 x Porcelain crab
1 x cucumber of an unknown variety
? x snails

corals
1 x fairly large hammer
-it was getting too large for the display and was damaging surrounding corals
3 x ORA xenia
1 x Rhodactis mushroom

Macros
-Halimeda
-Cheato
-Flame algae

Unintentionally macros - these just showed up one day
-Scroll
-Sargassum

Sump lighting
4 x T5 bulbs
Blue LED supplements

Sump FTS

Xenia, Halimeda and I believe red cyano

Mysterious Scroll Macro

Unknown bubbles on intake

Sargassum

Gelidium and green bubble

Gelidium

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Fish load is a bit high IMO. the tang especially needs to go. How much flow? Possibly consider repositioning your PHs. All that macro is nice but it catches and holds detritus easily too. The bubble algae and the turf go hand in hand. Surely they are feeding off of some nutrients (keeping your numbers low) but those two in particular don't need exceptionally dirty water to grow. You most likely introduced them via a frag or rock.

Unfortunately I don't have an easy fix. Manual removal, frequent and aggressive water changes (blowing off rocks with a pump, vac sand bed, removing rocks that you can to scrape off algae, etc). The water changes aren't so much because of water quality but more about physical removal of algae and detritus. Lose the tang at a minimum, reduce feeding to every other day (or less), Invest in 2 to 3 tuxedo urchins or pin cushion urchins.

You will gain control of it but its going to take a little work upfront.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Fish load is a bit high IMO. the tang especially needs to go. How much flow? Possibly consider repositioning your PHs. All that macro is nice but it catches and holds detritus easily too. The bubble algae and the turf go hand in hand. Surely they are feeding off of some nutrients (keeping your numbers low) but those two in particular don't need exceptionally dirty water to grow. You most likely introduced them via a frag or rock.

Unfortunately I don't have an easy fix. Manual removal, frequent and aggressive water changes (blowing off rocks with a pump, vac sand bed, removing rocks that you can to scrape off algae, etc). The water changes aren't so much because of water quality but more about physical removal of algae and detritus. Lose the tang at a minimum, reduce feeding to every other day (or less), Invest in 2 to 3 tuxedo urchins or pin cushion urchins.

You will gain control of it but its going to take a little work upfront.
We have found a home for him, it's just a matter of getting him out of the tank and to the store. He is darn near impossible to catch and the store is only open friday and saturdays >.<
The story behind him is our friends tore down their 500gal reef and he was the only fish they couldn't rehome and the people who bought the tank (for their red tailed cats and showed up with a trailer that the tank didn't even fit on pulled by a station wagon :nilly: ) were on the way over so we took him with the intention of rehoming him....but can't catch him now!

flow wise in the display there is the 2 return nozzles from a 1200gph return pump and 2 Koralia 1050 Evos

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Understood but he along is contributing quite a bit to your bioload. Can you put a PH behind your rocks by chance? Might help suspend some of the detritus that is likely settled back there.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Understood but he along is contributing quite a bit to your bioload. Can you put a PH behind your rocks by chance? Might help suspend some of the detritus that is likely settled back there.
I can try, I probably have a small one lying around

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wish I had an easy fix for you. The urchins should help.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Wish I had an easy fix for you. The urchins should help.
Come catch my tang and take him home lol

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Your bioload does seem a little high but there are two things I would do in your case

First would be to start using filter socks on your drain. You can purchase about 4 of them and change them every 4-7 days, wash and reuse. This will remove any large particles helping to reduce your nitrates.

Also, I would think about investing in a wave maker of some sort. Getting the whole body of water to move as one will remove plenty of gunk that's stuck in those hard to reach places that your power heads might not be able to reach.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Went to a non chain lfs today to see about urchins. This place is where the fish go to die and its the only of neccessity otherwise we drive an hr to a much better store. The better store is out of a guys house and is inconsistent on swtock....anyway. The terrible place had 1 tuxedo urchin that was smaller than a ping pong ball and they wanted 35$ for him. We passed that one up and are going to check out the other store this weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store