Lighting for reef tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pfisherman

Team Associated User
Nov 16, 2006
Morris, Illinois
www.myspace.com
I have started a 75g saltwater community tank, at this point it is a fowlr but I am considering making the leap to a reef tank after income taxes. My wife is the hold up, she wont release the funds for the proper equipment at the LFS but ebay has some discount stuff. Will this light do the trick? I am sure I will have to upgrade the tubes but will the fixture be sufficient?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-324W-T5-...673&pid=100010&prg=1076&rk=1&sd=200869426574&

Quinn

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes it sounds fine. Only concern is there is no manufacturer name. It is probably a fixture made in China so the the components (ballasts, timers, reflector (I know its says German reflector). The fixture appears to be a knock off of the Aquatic Life T5 which is a solid T5 fixture...

http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/286

6 bulbs would be what I would recommend for a 75. Assuming the fixture can put out what its made out to be, you should be able to grow just about any coral, anemone, clam that you want (placement taken into consideration of course). As you mentioned, you may want to replace the bulbs eventually. Suggest ATI or Geisemann bulbs.

Edit: Just noticed there are no fans. Not a deal breaker but you may want to consider adding some sort of air movement in or across the fixture to extend the life of the ballasts and bulbs.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Go for it :) I bought the discount T5HO's and they worked great. I am about to use them again on my FW tank. If I hadn't bought the "import" LED's for my 75 gallon, I would have bought those exact lights.

For a little bit more money, I suggest the 64x 3w LED's. (eBay) They are reef capable. I have them on my 75 gallon, I made a thread on them recently.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
Nothing wrong with eBay T5s, they are mostly just knock offs. If you can afford it, I would probably start replacing the bulbs before adding the fixture to a reef, with bulbs that are proven to grow corals. Also, like greech said, adding some sort of fan to it would be a good idea as well, I've used clip on desk fans in the past and have had good results as far as the life of my bulbs and ballast goes.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah, I posted in that thread and saw the LED's, I just cant afford them. You used the Ebay T5's?
Not the 6 bulb fixture, but I used a 108w dual T5 fixture. Go for whatever you can afford, both T5's and LED are good deals, but keep in mind T5 bulbs are around $20 bucks each, and you will have to replace them eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store