Anemone ID Help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spiker_man

Registered Member
Dec 10, 2006
Need some help identifying the anemone in the attached image. Got it from a fellow reefer a couple of months ago when it was about 1/4 of the size it is now. Not sure what it is and can't find anything on the net (or in books) that even looks similar. It has light green tentacles with pinkish tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anemone-1.jpg

anemone-1.jpg anemone-1.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I am fairly confident that you have a majano anemone which is considered by most to be a pest. I have never seen one with that much pink but I have seem some with pink"ish" tips. It is not a hosting anemone.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Definitely Majanos, and it's not that it's bigger, it's just there are more of them. There are at least 5 in that pic.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Pest? PEST?? I am clearly lacking in taste and discernment as this looks quite gorgeous to me. Sort of frogspawnish, with overtones of liposuction. :)

I assume that "pest" means it spreads too easily. How hard is it to remove if it becmes too enthusiastic or moves into a space you don't want it? Are we talking aptasia level, nuke it from orbit just to be sure difficult, or can you just grab, yank and that particular bundle goes to majano heaven? (ie flushed or compost heap or whatever you do with unwanted corals)

Or does it have more insidiously evil habits that put it in the pestworthy category? Stinger spines? Flatulence? Tendency to burst into song and demand feedings of blood? (yes I have watched "Little Shop of Horrors" a few hundred too many times.) Just curious. :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes, they multiply much like aiptasia, sting corals and take up real estate.

Eradication is about the same as aiptasia. Turn both keys simultaneously to launch with music from music from Apocalypse Now playing in the background. Removal is unlikely due to buried feet deep in the rock.

Some LFS's actually get away with selling these as BTAs.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
ah. so. thank you greech, much is now made clear. And upon further inspection they are not nearly as attractive as I had originally thought. :)

/preps flamethrower

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store