And the brown algae is born...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Week 2 in my nano tank/cycle. The sand is beginning to show brown algae. I think it's brown hair algae as it is brown and looks kinda like hair. Kinda fuzzy hair. Any ideas on what I should do right now?

Oh, I also found my first hitchhiker. It's a small feather duster and I think I saw a tiny white star earlier. It's gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Algae on the sand typically isn't hairy but assuming a normal cycle, you can expect hair algae, diatoms and possibly cyanobacteria (red soft mats). You can just let it run its course until ammonia>trite spike and then fall and when all that is left is trates, do a 50%+ water change, vacuum out all the crap and add your cleanup crew. If it really bothers you, water changes can be done during the cycle which some would argue is a better way to go. Lots of opinions out there on doing water changes during the cycle but most don't show the tank cycling any faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store