Setting up a 20 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drwatts

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2004
North Carolina
Visit site
OK guys and gals--

I'm wanting to set up a 20 gallon tank that I've had sitting in my old storage building after being a "casual" hobbyist so long ago--well something has sparked my interest and I REALLY want to get serious this time...

Are there any particular filters you recommend? HOB, UG, etc...?
--I have a friend who uses a HOB Whisper and an undergravel filter and has had success, but As I read through the forums, UG filters seem to be losing popularity... Also, should I use any kind of airstone, or something to help keep waste and debris from settling on the bottom?--Which brings me to my next question--How should I clean the bottom of the tank???

I never heard of cycling until yesterday--I found a great site to help me with that... (I feel stupid/embarrassed)

What size of gravel/substrate do you recommend?

Along with that, I will need some bottom feeders to help clean up--what species do you recommend (be it fish, shrimp, whatever)

Geez--I guess this should of been posted on the newbie board--I apologize, but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
We'll get you scooted over to the Newbie board...Welcome Aboard! OG

Some quick answers. Look into reverse flow undergravel filters--similar to a regular UGF, but with a powerhead the pushed water up through the gravel, instead of pulling in down through the gravel. Along with a HOb (I like Aquaclears, but there are many good choices), and a prefilter on the powerhead, there isn't any build of solid wastes in your gravel, and they don't settle on the surface, but do get trapped by the mechanical filtration for easy removal. Not recommended for planted tanks, but that's up for some debate.

I prefer smaller, smooth substrates, in natural colors, or sand. Sand doesn't work with RUGF/UGF, but looks good IMO. It's easily cleaned, since wastes stay on the surface and can be easily siphoned out.

Bottom feeders may not be needed, and will depend on what other fish you want to have in the tank. Start planning now, so you can change your mind 4-5 times while the tank cycles. ;)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Yes, welcome. Read through the stickies in the newbie forum if you haven't already. There is some great info in there.

For a 20 gallon tank a single AC 150 or 200 should be good for filtration. Gravel cleaning can be accomplished using a gravel vacuum which most fish stores sell.

I agree with OG, plan plan plan. Figure out what type of tank you like the look of, natural, planted, colourful. And pick out what the main type of fish you want will be. Then it is easier to plan the other fish around that main choice.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Welcome aboard drwatts.

Someone's probably already mentioned this to you, but make sure you've got your tank on a sturdy and level surface. You'll have a good 200lbs on your 2ft.sq. surface.

If you've got any quarries nearby, ask them about #2/#3 mesh filter/sandblasting sand. It's roughly 3mm in diameter. I asked a "local" quarry about some and they gave me a 20kg bag of each as a 'sample', free. Hey, it's free, looks nice and is the right size.

If I could stress what may be the single most important thing in this hobby:

PATIENCE

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Welcome abaord as well,
Aquaclears are good filters, the emporers as well IMO, I am a big fan of RFUG set-ups too (I haven't set up a tank without one since I discovered them). Let us know some ideas on you plans, especially plants or not what kind of fish etc. with filtration especially, different reccomendations will come with plants.

should I use any kind of airstone
Airstone IMO are strictly to be used for aesthetics. Surface agitation and filter flow will take care of gas exchange, circulation, and dictate where and how debris settles (and it will settle with or without airstones) Airstones can be effectively used to run a standard UGF system, but IMO are the least preferred way to do so.
I never heard of cycling until yesterday--I found a great site to help me with that... (I feel stupid/embarrassed)
Don't feel too stupid or embarrassed, I kept fish for years without knowing why half of my fish died right after I washed all of the gravel and changed all of the filter media once a month. I am a firm believer that not knowing isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

I think for your filter choice an Aquaclear or Emporer would be the basic choice. I do prefer a cannister filter over a HOB type filter myself though. I don't use an UGF in any form, but I won't say that you shouldn't.

I use smallish gravel subtrate in natural colors. I know of many people that use sand also. You make no mention of plants, but if you plan on having live plants that can have an effect on what sort of substrate and fish you are going to have. Not to mention you will need decent lighting for plant life.

I prefer cory catfish for bottom feeders and like ottos for algae control. Before we can really say what sort of bottom feeder though it would be good to know what other type or types of fish you are looking into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store