BoCoMo's 40G Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Just setting up a 40 Breeder Reef:

My latest tank is going to be a 40 Breeder; (thank you $1 per gallon sale) This is one of my favorite types of tanks for planted but this will be my first saltwater 40B.

The plan is a ULNS system, controlled cycle and environment setup, SSB, SPS dominated mixed reef

So far I have:

Built the stand - DIY, waterproofed inside, stained outside
Purchased the rock - Pukani dry rock
Purchased the sand - Dead Fiji Pink & Dead Crushed Coral
Purchased the salt - Seachem Reef Salt
Purchased the lights - LEDTRiC Par 38 True Pop, LEDTRiC Par 38 Full Spectrum "Zooman" 60 degree lenses, 27" 160w 16,000k Maxspect Razor
Purchased the skimmer - Reef Octopus 6" in sump outflow into filter stock to reduce bubbles (this is a great trick ime)
Purchased plumbing - 3, 1" drain bulkheads using "bean animal" system (internal overflow), into filter sock, quiet one 3000 to 3/4" return to loc-line (sump will flow 400gph)
Already Have Heaters - Aqueons + using digital thermometer with floating backup
Waterflow - 400 gph from sump return through 2 loc-line returns, 2 stationary Koralia Nano 425's, 1 Tunze 6045 (400 to 1,100 GPH) mounted in a new Sea Sweep *Really excited about the Sea Sweep!
Dosing Supplies:[FONT=arial, sans-serif] Seachem Reef Complete, Seachem Reef Plus, Seachem Reef Calcium, [/FONT]Korallen-Zucht Sponge Power, Elos Omega Amino Acids, Korallen-Zucht Coral Snow[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
Additional Filtration: I have a ZEOvit reactor and zeolites here but I am considering swapping out for a GFO reactor, Carbon Reactor, and Purigen Reactor
Already have food: [/FONT]Korallen-Zucht ZEOFood 7, BRS Reef Chili Coral Food, Argent Cyclops-Eeze[FONT=arial, sans-serif] (any opinons on these?)

Coming Up:
Finish Building sump
Drill tank and install plumbing
Bacteria to be Introduced: Korallen-Zucht ZEOBak, Seachem Stability
Pods to be Introduced: Algagen ReefPods Tisbe, Algagen ReefPods Tangerine, Algagen ReefPods Moina Salina > Fed with: Algagen PhycoPure Reef Blen & Algagen PhycoPure Copepod Blend
DIY Calcium Chloride Calk/Alk System
Build Canopy

I will update when I drill, when I install plumbing, etc...

Please feel free to offer your thoughts or ask questions. (Help me make this project the best it can be) After trying various other ways this is the way I think Iam going to run this system but there are many ways to reef and I may even change my mind along the way so we will see how this goes! Thanks for looking!

Couple pics of the project thus far and some random shots of supplies (sometimes I get excited when I get a shipment)

Tank started out like this:
[/FONT]

Ended like this:

Door held on by magnets:

Waterproofed with 29G sump:

Stained:

Rock Scape: Would love opinons on this.

Razor Light: (Waiting on goosenecks for the par38's)

Some of the ZEOvit stuff:

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
1" under full siphon should be more than enough but there will be a second running and a 3rd as backup. I will be able to tell you for sure here in a few days when the hole saw bits get here! :) If I have to installer bigger bulk heads it would be a pain but that is why I do test fills and test runs to make sure before cycling even starts.

Cool flow calculator here:

http://www.beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln! Nice setup!

I would suggest powerwashing that pukaini and/or a muratic acid or peroxide bath. It is beautiful rock but known for leaching (no bueno for SPS dominant tank). I love the rock on the right but I might take a hammer and chisel to the one on the left. It will be good to have some lower rock(s) in a shallow tank like the 40B. Especially a SPS dominant one. Those colored sticks will pop out of the water in no time :).

Where are the Par 38's? All I see is a Razor?

Can't wait to see this one up and running! Thanks for sharing!

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Thanks greech! I do need to give these rocks a good bath! BRS sent me some nice rocks (although I over ordered again) I am planning on mounting the 38's today (won't be pretty but planning on hiding everything behind a canopy) Otherwise I would do no canopy any gooseneck them but the wife want's a canopy. I have another rock like the one on the right, maybe I will swap rocks around to see what I think. Looking to do a lot of deep water acro's (if I can find them and get them here) mainly going to stick with blues, purples, and greens for the corals in this tank. I am strongly considering a green long tentacle anemone as well but as far as fish go this will be a peaceful tank

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
^ I don't Zeo. UMy current financial situation doesn't allow for a full zeo system to become a reality yet. I did go through a bottle of lps amino acids and I'm currently dosing the vitalizer with what seems to be great results so far. Maybe in time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store