Shot of my show tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

funkman262

AC Members
Jul 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
Michael
Love the koi angels but it does seem a bit overstocked for that size tank. I had five angels in my 90g heavily planted tank and two started breeding and killed the other three. Maybe I just had bad luck. Also, your water looks really cloudy. Do you know what's causing it? You may have green-water (caused by an algal bloom).

dpfhpres

AC Members
Nov 15, 2012
I change about ten gallons a day on the tank. By most standards it is overstocked but I have stocked tanks like this before it cuts down on some of the aggression. The tank has cleared up a lot. I just planted it two days ago

funkman262

AC Members
Jul 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
Michael
I suppose that's true for controlling aggression; african cichlid tanks are intentionally overstocked for that purpose, and angels are cichlids after-all.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Nice looking tank - can't see how you will maintain those stocking numbers in the medium term. Granted, certain African Cichlids (generally Lake Malawi species) are overstocked in the home aquarium to manage aggression but their behaviour is completely different to CA/SA Cichlids...so an overstocked Malawi tank is sort of a necessary evil to keep the fish...but an overstocked Angel tank is basically just an over-stocked Angel tank.

What filtration are you running as a matter of interest ?

I hope all continues to go well for you, but I would urge you to consider a much larger tank/another tank in the near future.

dpfhpres

AC Members
Nov 15, 2012
I am running two filters a hang on back for up to sixty gallons and a large corner box filter. I have been keeping and breeding angels for over six years. I would never recommend a tank like this for beginners

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I am running two filters a hang on back for up to sixty gallons and a large corner box filter. I have been keeping and breeding angels for over six years. I would never recommend a tank like this for beginners
Thanks for clarifying - its good that a new fishkeeper would note that you have experience with the fish, breeding etc - as you say, its not a stocking to be recommended for beginners. As a matter of interest how long would you be happy to maintain the stocking in that tank at current levels (I think I can see 10 Angels) and how do you manage pairing off ?

Also I'm curious as to your experience with HOB & Box Filter versus externals or other forms of filtration - any particular reason you prefer HOB & in tank ?

dpfhpres

AC Members
Nov 15, 2012
I usually would just go with sponge and bare bottom. With two filters you can change one with out the Bactria going haywire. There are about thirteen adult angels in the tank. As for pairing there are two big males who bicker with each other other than them the fighting in minimal they will spawn on occasion when you keep this many it also cuts down on them pairing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store