Jack Dempsey sex question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tpopcaz

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
Can anyone tell me the sex of this JD? Reason I'm asking is because I have three of them all in the same tank and this is the bigger one out of all three. Its a very active fish and I noticed when it was eating tonight it looked like its belly was big. I don't know if this is normal for this species or could it have eggs in it if its a female? It seems to be swimming around fine but I did notice it in a cave more then normal today.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
No pic. I have seen that 90% of the time the females have the most blue speckling/blotching on their faces. That is how I tell them apart.

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
Females will have as mentioned the blue spangking continue to the bottom of their jaws. And it wilk essentially look like a blue beard. Sometimes males at a small size wil have some but minimal spangling but as the grow it will not continue to reach to the bottom of the jaws. As to why its belly is big this could be quite concerning and you should post pictures to rule out any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store