Can annyone indentify this disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nzero

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I bought a few fish a some days ago, but when i got home i noticed the 5 Nandus nandus bahaved odd and one had a slimy white layer on top of him the next day this turned bloody red like on the picture. I have him on medication for external parasites now. But it doenst look verry good for him. Does annyone know what kind of parasite or disease this fish has?

monsterfish2.jpgmonsterfish.jpg

Also i bought a lungfish becouse of the dark tanks the lfs has i didnt notice him having red dods on his body. It seems to get wors but i have no cleu on what this is.
It looks like the red dods have a litle withe dod in it. So couldt this be a parasite?

monsterfish3.jpg

IMG_8409.JPG monsterfish2.jpg monsterfish.jpg monsterfish3.jpg

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Assuming the fish wasn't attacked by another tankmate - Red bumps and lesions usually indicate a systemic bacterial infection. Test your water parameters and remove the anti-parasite medication with water changes or charcoal. Feed an antibacterial food if they're still eating. Good luck.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sort of looks like septicemia. It is a contagious bacterial infection. Do al large water change at minimum. You might want to consider a broad spectrum antibiotic like Maracyn +.

Nzero

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks, The water is just fine. The red dods on the lungfish seem to have opened so i gues this was a parasite that came out because of the medication.

About the septicemia when i googled this i got some extreem shiffers. The fish died and i took it out of the tank with a net but did tough the fish with my hands. Can this disease grow on me to?

Nzero

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
The red dods on the lungfish opened during night so i guess this was a parasite that reacted to the medication.

About the septicemia when i looked this up on google i noticed that mostly humans have this disease. When the fish died i toughed it with my bare hands.
Can this disease grow on me now?

Nzero

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
Can this septicemia grow on me to? I toughed the fish with my hands.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
just because the lesion broke open does not specifically indicate a parasite. bacterial infections can fester form a lesion and erupt.

septicemia, a blood bacterial infection that is treatable with use of broad spectrum antibiotic medications.

can it infect a humans? I can't answer that but I do know that some pathogens in the aquarium can result in infections.. in the cases i know of, usually in a current open wound.

most can be avoided if you follow good hygiene and wash hands and arms that come in contact with the water. our skin is pretty good at keeping most pathogens at bay.

Nzero

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2013
sorry for the manny post i thought it didnt post but my posts have to be checked sinds i'm new her i guess xD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store