Black Mangrove care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I got a couple sprouts that are doing poorly dead or dying, as they're to small to go in sump or fuge I was trying to grow them in a glass like I've done to get reds to start to sprout. Brackish water(40% fresh mixed sw 60% tank water from my fw planted) kept near a window with natural light along with a few hours of 6500k CFL bulb light.

Give up and stick with red's or just a bad batch of blacks?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
How are you planting them? As far as i understand Black Mangroves, they dont grow underwater like the Red ones.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
At this point I was just using a little piece of eggcrate to hold them upright with roots submerged, leafs above the water.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
You do realize you have a TREE not a little potted plant

either you get a bigger tank or go Bonsai

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
Red mangroves are the ones you want for SW tanks. I believe they are they only ones that are tolerant to full salt. I've got three in my 55 in suction cup planters I got from Hydrophyte. PM him and ask for a link to his site. He'll hook you up with what you need for them. And red mangroves can be purchased online and at some LFS's. You're going to want a sprouted propagule and be sure to ask whoever you get it from what the SG is of the water that you got it from. Mine were being grown in very lightly salted water and I had to, over 6 weeks, slowly acclimate them (1 tablespoon per week) to full salt. Just be sure to have access to magnesium and iron if they need it.

And it won't be hard at all to bonsai them, as they grow sooooo freakiiiinnn sloooowww..... OMG...... It took me 4 months to get a new set of leaves....On one plant. The other two are still thinking about it.... :/ lol. Also gives you time to research bonsai care though. ;)

I've got a thread here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?495654-Red-Mangroves-for-the-Win! If you wanna read it. (This is totally experimental for me, as you will see in the thread, lol) There's also a good article in there that someone posted about mangrove care. I'd scoop on that too.

Good luck! ;)

Hahahaha....All that and I realize I didn't help at all.... Hahaha....Gotsa pay attention, sorry (In my defense, this wasn't in the brackish section)..... Here, try this link for black mangroves: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?410493-my-new-MONSTERS-to-be-Black-Mangroves Although his are being grown in FW....Anywho.... Hahahaha....I'm just gonna go over here now... :grinno:

Last edited:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Black Mangroves are fine with saltwater. But I'm not entirely sure they'll grow in the same setup as a Red Mangrove. I know people do grow them though, so there is some way to get them to grow.

Red Mangroves grow IN water and so are perfectly fine with the tank environment, as long as their leaves don't get submerged for long periods of time. That is their natural pattern. They grow roots downwards through the water to support the plant out of the water.

Black Mangroves grow at the water's edge. Possibly in areas that are tidally submerged, but not in areas that are permanently submerged like Red Mangroves. They don't grow the support roots, but instead grow roots that stick up out of the ground like little spikes. You may need more of paludarium, or at least a container that replicates the paludarium-style within the sump.

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
The guy I know who has black mangroves has his planters directly in the water. The mangroves are submerged, as far as the roots go. Even if they don't grow in the water, in the wild, they are close enough to the water for the soil to be saturated, wouldn't you think? To be honest, I know very little of black mangroves, as my focus has been on my reds.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Kelly thanks for the link, I'm already familar with the Red's I have a couple already, decided I wanted more and to add some to another fuge, reefcleaners had the blacks last time I ordered from them thats where I got these, pretty sure they're dead now. I'm going to just stick with the red's I think, easier to care for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store