Eartheaters!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tjhallock

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2013
My stock currently in the 75 are 2 brasilis, 2 altis, 2 heckelii, 1 leucy, 1 angel, 2 ramerezi, rubber mouth pleco, normal pleco, and 6 cories. Now, before everyone bashes my stock bc of differences in water parameters and temps, I do plan on moving the brasiliensis pair in the future as well as upgrading to a 5ft minimum tank in the next year or so. Brasiliensis do come from cooler waters, as well as being able to tolerate saline waters to an minimal extent. I do realize the size these guys can get as well as the varying water parameters for each species of fishes in the tank. I dont think the minor differences in parameters between the species is enough to affect generations of captive bred individuals like the ones I have; I could understand if they were wild caught, or even F1 offspring. I think the most important key to big, healthy fish is clean water and parameters being CONSISTENT, as opposed to constantly changing them to get the desired simulation of the fish's environment. Healthy fish? Best believe! I feed a varied diet, change the water 2x a week, and constantly interact with the fish. All of them let you "hold/pet them" and the plecos come to greet you by sucking on your hand. It's an awesome sight when I open the front door and all the fish swim to the top and front!

1.0 S. leucosticta @ 5.25"

1.1 G. brasiliensis @ 4.5"

1.1 ? maybe 2.0? A. heckelii @ 3" (these guys are growing amazing with there colors)

2.0 G. altifrons @ 4" (the one shown is infront the light, so his colors are off. usually a teal color and starting to realy develop the reds)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You're "heckeli" is a surinamensis.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Nice tank and beautiful fish. Love the eartheaters. I have some redhead tapajos in a 55.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
abarilot is correct. All the fish are labeled correctly. The true Geophagus surinamensis is never exported and most fish under that trade name are G. altifrons, G. abalios, or G. dicrozoster with a few others mixed in occasionally. However, no Surinamensis or Altifrons type Geophagus has a black stripe through the eye. That fish is definitely an Acarichthys heckelli.

Very nice fish.

Andy

ROOK45

AC Members
Dec 20, 2005
Can't forget the geophagus taeniopareius that's one also has a black line through the eye. But the fish pictured above is clearly not a taeniopareius. It's a heckelli

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tjhallock

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2013
THanks guys. And yes, it is indeed an Acarichthys heckelii. AWESOME FISH so far!! Here is the current tank. moved the brasiliensis as well, so i cleared a bit of space and got a new baby gymno. labiatus 'rio olimar' and might get a few red head tapajos to grow out. heres the tank and new labiatus. I can see this guy coloring nicely in the future - already showing blue and red in fins!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store